DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 Dodge Ram in August of 08. 5.7L HEMI MDS. At 1600 miles I added 3/4 quart of oil (Castrol 5W20 on the Dealer's recommendation) to bring the level back to the full mark. This is factory oil and the Dealer is telling me not to change the oil until the oil change indicator comes on. Is this normal to have to add this much oil in so few miles?

Modifications: Magnaflow duals and K&N air filter

Thanks

·
Shut up and drive!
2,904 Posts
Oil consumption can be a little more than usual during the first couple thousands miles on a new motor. also driving habits can cause more consumption. I found if i drive em "normal" i have little consumption, but if im hard on it, usually need to add a quart after 2000 or so miles.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I havent had any oil consumption.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had to add oil my first few thousand miles. Could even smell a little oil burn on start up. Went to dealer asked them about. They said "If it uses more then three quarts, then that's a reason to be of concern, so just keep driving and adding oil, it should go away" I figures that's a typical dealership answer but it has stopped. Truck does not use an ounce of oil now.

·
bubba
1,563 Posts
its normal for ANY new motor to burn oil until the piston rings get set. until they set, oil passes by them and gets burnt up and exhausted out.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've always heard that 1 quart between changes is perfectly normal.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
You shouldn't tolerate ANY oil consumption after break-in. For whatever reason, the Hemis "season" slower than some. My '03 with 99K doesn't use (or lose) any oil between changes. Nor does my '06 300C with 34K.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
1 quart seems a bit excessive

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That's what I said to the dealership! The they told me not to be worried until 2-3 quarts are burnt off.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
2 or 3 Holy $hit

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thats what I said!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
2 or 3 low and youve got a blown motor

·
Registered
563 Posts
x... whatever... never had to add oil between changes in my "02".

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
2 or 3 low and youve got a blown motor
a quart between oil changes (3k miles) is normal. ive gone about 2 1/2 qts low on my car and the motor didnt blow. probably not the greatest thing but nothing happened. my truck burns 1qt every 4k miles. its been doing that for a while now. no issues.

·
Registered
630 Posts
a quart between oil changes (3k miles) is normal. ive gone about 2 1/2 qts low on my car and the motor didnt blow. probably not the greatest thing but nothing happened. my truck burns 1qt every 4k miles. its been doing that for a while now. no issues.
I dont think losing a quart every 3K miles is acceptable or normal. It wont blow the engine, but that oils going somewhere...:secret2:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I dont think losing a quart every 3K miles is acceptable or normal. It wont blow the engine, but that oils going somewhere...:secret2:
according to the dealer, you shouldnt worry unless your losing 1qt or more every 1k miles or less. i dont feel that that is normal, but theres nothing wrong with 1qt every 3k miles, especially with engines that have 100k miles or more. almost any mechanic will tell you its normal. piston rings eventually wear down and some oil slips by and gets burned off in the combustion process. every engine is different though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
x4 @ 15,000 miles. I've never lost a drop.

X4 @ 96,000 miles.

I kept the factory oil in until 3,000 miles. I then switched to Amsoil and have use it for every oil change since. This truck does not burn or use a drop of oil.

I have heard of Chevy motors using several quarts between changes though.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.