DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal oil pressure and temperature reading on a stock Hemi running dino oil? I just want to compare the numbers to my truck since switching to Amsoil 0w-20 and Amsoil filter. I run about 56-60 PSI in a cold start high idle, about 60-62 PSI cold driving, and about 56 PSI when warmed up and driving. Oil temp this morning after 15 minutes on the highway was about 175 Deg.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
406 Posts
In general if its over 25-30 PSI warm driving its okay. Most manufactures just have an oil pressure switch - on/off. Sometimes they are even connected to the oil pressure gauge, and the gauge is just calibrated to go to the middle range. These pressure switches are sometimes set as low as 7 PSI before throwing a warning.

Are you using your dash gauge to tell pressure? If you are, its essentially worthless. Dodge (atleast in the Cummins, and I wouldn't see why they wouldn't with the Hemi and other engines either) just use an oil pressure switch to tell the dash/pcm whether there is at least 7-10 of oil pressure. This will bring the gauge automatically into the safe 40-70 PSI zone, regardless of actual pressure. The dash board computer will actually move the oil pressure gauge based on engine RPM. I know GM also does the computer-moving-gauge trick, and I know that Ford uses pressure switches as well, but I'm not sure if their gauges are programmed to move either.

The only way to really tell with these new vehicles is to install a mechanical pressure gauge.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running the same oil and EaO filter. Great stuff. :tup:

Sil
I run the 0W-20 in both my new truck and the wife's Mustang. I also ran Amsoil in my last 2 Dodge's and will probably switch my boat over to Amsoil this spring.:D

I am using the EVIC on the truck to read the actual pressure and temp. As far as I know, it's accurate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
59 lbs on start up (above 45 degrees - OAT). At 203 degrees (normal engine temp), it reads 49 lbs at driving speed. Goes down to about 15 lbs at idle. Using Quaker State 5w-20.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Running Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, and on highway speeds the oil and coolant are both at 194 degrees, pressure is ~55psi. It drops to ~26psi at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.