DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard that neons are known for noisy lifter is this true cause i hear mine and are wondering can it be stopped. if so what is needed most to stop.thanks

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It was about time for this question to come up again... its been a couple months, LOL. Dont worry, I asked the same question myself back in the day. If you're not used to OHC engines (and the fact that neons have little sound insulation doesnt help either), you'll probably think your engine is noisy even when warm, that was me too. You'll get used to it. As for the lifters, the factory neon lifters could be aerated better to say the least. That is why they "tick" when you first start the engine up. It takes a while for the oil to get up there and pump them up (they are hydraulic lash adjusters to be specific). If you want you can replace the stock lifters with PT spec lifters for around $135 for the set (of 16). They are better aerated and stronger, if you plan on upgrading cams in the future. Stock lifters are noisy when cold, but if you just remember not to beat on the car before it warms up (which you shouldnt anyway, to any engine) its not a problem. You get used to it after a while.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Yep thats the deal!
You would need to use a thicker oil or replace the exhaust and intake rockers.
Easy job, pretty expensive though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It has more to do with the lifters (technically known as lash adjusters) than the rocker arms. I wont argue oil weights with you Hoodoo... ;)

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Rockers / lifters, same deal.
Replace the lot. You will find there is some slight lateral movement in your lifters anyway generally over 1 and 2 cylinders for some reason.

·
Neon Master Mechanic
1,090 Posts
If you ran synthetic you could switch to Leading Edge- The oil made my valvetrain super quiet, mainly when the motor is cold. I use to hear a quiet tap tap tap for a few min until the motor was warm, now it (valvetrain) is silent. I have met the owner and he did this whole demo with this bearing that blew me away~ Aparently the oil leaves a thin coat on the parts it touches so when the car is started back up there is less friction. He said flat out it's like Mobile 1 with his own additive.

Not as much as Royal Purple but more than Mobile1.

Neway~

$0.02

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok good deal then one worry out of the way lol,i carried it to the dealer for a diagnostic back a few months ago cause it was and still is running funny like for instance this clattering sound i hear when you are driving and begin to accelerate kinda like a ford diesel but not as loud if you can get the idea.see you can hear the lifters and theres that other chattering im going crazy trying to find lmao but if any have heard this before give me some feedback on that please im really kinda new to the neon era but i wanted something a lil different if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You should not be able to hear them inside the car after the engine is warmed up... thats not normal. Are you sure its valvetrain knock and not an exhaust leak?

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Sounds like preignition spark knock to me!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
see a buddy of mine said it was a spark knock too but i had never heard of such a thing just thought he was crazy but who was to know that he works at the dealership lol

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
shit i got a 04 srt-4 with 8500 miles on it and my lifters are loud as **** at start up lol! is ur neon a mtx? if so does the chatter happen when ur foot is off the clutch if so its ur throw out bearing,.. not expensive to replace just a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah its an automatic ......sure do wished it was a manual, but that noisy is funky sounding though very annoying.how do you stop preignition knock?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i am having the same thing happen but it do's it when it is cold and worm.
could it be the lifters.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Preignition problem. Replace spark plugs and coil generally. Run car on correct fuel.
Sohc guys have solid lifters / rockers in one unit. Dohc guys can change out the last adjusters, sohcs can't.
Get a set of intake and exhaust rockers from a wrecked car and just install them. Turf your old rockers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine makes noise when it is first started up and cooooold. Here lately it's been staying in the teens!! No real noise after it warms up tho.. Looks like heavier oil for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.