DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i need some advice. I have a noise that sounds like "waw waw waw" and gets louder as i move. I put the truck on jack stands in 4wd and got no noise. Ideas?

I did think maybe a tire?

I have a bad u joint on the passengers side of my front axle, i think that would rattle more than hum?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
"waw waw waw" usually is a tire! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats what i thought...but it doesnt shake or anything... i put a spare on the tire i thought would be messed up if any of them were and it still did it.

I have 2 spares tho so maybe i will try putting them on the back... and if it does it still move them to the front... try and eliminate the tire possibility

If there is no visible damage... you think it could just need to be balanced?

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Get them balanced & rotated.. Do that & see if it makes a difference. I had an old CJ-7 with the AMC 20 rear end. It started making the waw waw sound all of a sudden & about 30 sec. after it started, I was doing the 3 wheel motion cause the rear end blew & the axel pulled out! Wheel & all!!!

I hate that noise now, & I get real nervous when I hear it now!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys...

I checked my tires, its not a tire. I shook the shit out of all 4 wheels while it was on the stands and there is no play so i am doubtful on a bearing...

Its been making the noise for over a week... i drove it the first few days trying to figure out what it might be...

I know i haver a bad ujoint on the passengers side front shaft(steeringknuckle) but i would think that would clatter and not do the "waw waw waw" noise, i am changing it tonight or tomorrow tho.

Anymore ideals?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i am now about 95% sure its in the rear end... Anyone wanna place bets on whats wrong?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Does it seem to change when you change lanes at speed - when the weight shifts from one side to the other? If so it's probably one of the outer wheel bearings.

You won't know for sure what's going on until you drop the rear diff cover and inspect.

How many miles does the truck have?

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts
Hummm. If you think its coming from the rear, then try what chizzle1 said. Get it to shift weight somehow. If you have to, jack the reared up & put it in gear & see if it still does it. Use caution when doing this tho, you dont want your truck taking off in autopilot mode :D ! If its still doing it with the azz end off the ground, look for something in the rear end, if not I would bet its a wheel bearing going bad. Could be the rear has developed some play & the pre-load is off causing it to whine... :help:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i had the back off the ground and it running i didnt get the "waw waw waw" noise... it had a slight hum but nothing that didnt sound could be out of the norm...

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
try shifting the weight by changing lanes or swerving - use some common sense don't do anything dangerous - if you have a wheel bearing going bad it should get louder as more weight is added and quieter when the weight shifts off it.

If you have it up on stands it may be quieter since their is no load on said bearings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i found the problem... Limited slip was in pieces and the spider gears where all loose and shit.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
well that falls nicely into the "bad" catagory.

You gonna rebuild it yourself or have it done?

·
01 off road ram
317 Posts
i was going to say rear end, mine did it too, bad pinion and carrier bearings

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will prolly do it myself. ALl my bearings look fine so i dont think that will be a issue.

What options do you guys know for rebuilding the limited slip?

Has anyone ever put a lockright in the 9.25? I found some of them online lastnight. We put one in my buddies jeep with no issues. I thought it might be a neat alternative to redoing the stock limited slip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.