DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here. I just did some work on my van, and it's running great. There is just one sound that started to come out of nowhere that I seriously can't locate for my life. I changed the spark plugs and wires, and put in the effort to remove the wiper cowl, intake plenum, etc. While I had everything taken apart, I thought to myself I might as well change the belt and tensioner to the revised double sided kit. After having everything done, I noticed a few days later this groaning noise. I was worried maybe I did something wrong so I switched the belt back to the old belt and tensioner. No luck there. I changed the PS pump about a year ago, and the sound seemed independent from the power steering. I started to assume it was the alternator, so I changed that, but still the same sound! The only way I can get rid of the sound is by removing the belt. Which shows that one of the accessories is making this noise.

I'll post a reply with Google Drive links to videos of the sound from inside the van and outside.

Please help! I don't know what else to do. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Does the sound change if you turn the steering wheel from side to side? From my past issues i have found that groaning sounds were steering related. Some have fixed this issue by removing the reservoir and cleaning the screen in it. Mine did not have the screen, my issue was the pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the sound change if you turn the steering wheel from side to side? From my past issues i have found that groaning sounds were steering related. Some have fixed this issue by removing the reservoir and cleaning the screen in it. Mine did not have the screen, my issue was the pump.
Hi, sorry I haven't posted the links. I haven't been able to upload it. As I mentioned above, the noise is independent from the steering, I know the sound. Plus I've already changed my pump about a year ago. In the 1997 the reservoir does not have fluid circulating through it but rather it just sits there while the other fluid circulates through the pump.

Anyways, I have actually located the sound. It's from the AC compressor. I took a ratchet and extension since I didn't have a long screwdriver, and tested all the accessories, most noise came from the compressor. However it's odd because the AC system works perfectly. Maybe a bad bearing or pulley? I'm not so sure. Because there is no grinding sound, just whining that you hear at lower speeds and is droned out at freeway speeds by road noise, etc.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The compressor has two sets of bearings, the internal bearings only work when the ac is on and the clutch bearing only works when the compressor is off. That should make much it easier to figure out which one is bad. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The compressor has two sets of bearings, the internal bearings only work when the ac is on and the clutch bearing only works when the compressor is off. That should make much it easier to figure out which one is bad. Good luck
I can hear it when the compressor is off, then when the AC is turned on, the noise goes away slightly, but with a little gas you can still hear the noise. It is independent from the whine type noise the compressor makes when the AC is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts