DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my parents have a 2018 dodge caravan. It won’t start. I tested the battery with a multimeter. It has 12.6 volts, when we turn the key to try and start it it drops to 5.5. We tried to jump it and still had the same problem. Cleaned the terminals and pulled every single fuse in the box to check them and they were all good. The lights on the dash also flicker on and off like the van can’t determine if it has power or not. I’m leaning towards an alternator problem but if that’s the case shouldn’t we have been able to jump it? Thanks, any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hopefully, I'm not too late to the party on this one.

That's a nasty voltage drop, but considering it doesn't drop until you try cranking the engine, it's a safe bet you can stay within the confines of the starter circuit for now. Technically, the starter is part of that circuit. I'd probably have it pulled and bench tested first. But before you agitate or remove anything, do a good visual inspection on any of the wires and cables going to/from the starter. I can't help but wonder if the solenoid wire has rubbed through on a sharp corner somewhere on the engine block or transmission case. That wire is only hot when cranking, so it's a sensible possibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts