DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I have a 1986 Dodge Ram with a 360 V8 new carb new coil new distributor cap new rotor new ignition control module new ballistor resistor new wires and new plugs… truck starts but dies very quickly and backfires out the top of the carb… timing is correct and distributor is not backwards…. Idk what else it could be. Help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there power to the circuit when starting, is there power to the circuit when in run position, are all the grounds well connected cleaned?.
Back fire through the carb would indicate an intake valve open with a spark, timing chain skip? Or a valve still open , did it sit for a few months or more?
Pop the valve covers see if all the valves function and close.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) If this is before OBD2….Had this happen to a 1981 camaro I had. Turned out to be the prom chip in the computer. Simply took the prom out and the car ran until I could get it replaced. It wasn’t putting out all of the horsepower it had. But it ran.
2) Clogged catalytic converters could also do this if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You say timing is correct, ignition timing? Or cam timing? It sounds like plastic cam gear has jumped a tooth throwing off the cam timing. Do a compression test and maybe pull a valve cover. Watch the valves go up and down with compression correctly or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) If this is before OBD2….Had this happen to a 1981 camaro I had. Turned out to be the prom chip in the computer. Simply took the prom out and the car ran until I could get it replaced. It wasn’t putting out all of the horsepower it had. But it ran.
2) Clogged catalytic converters could also do this if I remember correctly.
Truck doesn’t have computers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, try a jumper wire direct from the battery to the coil. And maybe the pickup in the distributor is shorting somehow, like when the advance weights move. Is the backfire just before it dies? Like as the RPM’s drop to almost zero? Maybe picking up a last bit of voltage and sparking as it dies. Just guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, try a jumper wire direct from the battery to the coil. And maybe the pickup in the distributor is shorting somehow, like when the advance weights move. Is the backfire just before it dies? Like as the RPM’s drop to almost zero? Maybe picking up a last bit of voltage and sparking as it dies. Just guessing.
Checked it… still something wrong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts