DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am requesting your assistance in this matter. I have 2 issues.

The first is that there appear to be no Timing Marks on the engine front cover. I have a 79 Lil Red Express with a replacement 318. The only possibility might be the bracket for the Power sterring pump.

The other issue is that I was getting a spark from the Ignition Coil when positioned near the Intake Manifold. Now I am not. I thought that i might have been off TDC by 180 degrees based on the issue above, so I turned the Dist 180 Degrees, new replacement. After cranking the engine about 30 seconds i saw a small puff of smoke eminating from the ares of the Starter. I ran a continuity check of both wires and they are fine. the following parts are new, spark plugs, sparl plug wires, Ignition Coil, Voltage Regulator, ECM (5 prong), Starter relay. I fear I may have smoked the solenoid.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The timing tab is cast right into the timing chain cover on the drivers' side. There's a mark on the harmonic balancer as well. Could be hard to see if it's filled with dirt or rust.

Have you verfied if you're getting power to the coil in the 'START' and 'RUN' positions of the ignition switch? In the 'START' position you should get a full 12V to the coil since it bypasses the ballast resistor. In the 'RUN' position, it should only be around 8V or so.

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
The timing tab is cast right into the timing chain cover on the drivers' side. There's a mark on the harmonic balancer as well. Could be hard to see if it's filled with dirt or rust.

Yeah it can be a real pain... On my rig the PS pump is right in the way. You really gotta stick your head in there at exactly the right position and you have to stick the timing light way up under it, or you'll never see it.
If the smog pump were still on it, I don't know how you'd ever see it.

And as Vanman says, I'd check for voltage(s) at the coil and start working my way backwards from there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the coil test as suggested - 4.23 volts in the run position 7.3 volts in the start position. I ran successful continuity cheks for all wires in the ECU. Per the Chilton manual ran a successful solenoid test by wiring the Battery post to the solenoid post.

regarding the Timing tab - cleaned the front engine cover, no indentations felt by hand. Brought number 1 cylinder to TDC the Harmonic balancer seem to indicate that TDC is directly under the water pump. This is not good.

·
4,032 Posts
I ran the coil test as suggested - 4.23 volts in the run position 7.3 volts in the start position.

Mmmm..... That doesn't sound right. In the 'start' position, you should have full voltage (As in 12-14 volts) - 'Run' Should be something like 8-9-10 volts (I forget exactly what)....
Is your battery up to snuff? Maybe you have a dead cell? Altenator putting out voltage?

I ran successful continuity cheks for all wires in the ECU. Per the Chilton manual ran a successful solenoid test by wiring the Battery post to the solenoid post.

regarding the Timing tab - cleaned the front engine cover, no indentations felt by hand. Brought number 1 cylinder to TDC the Harmonic balancer seem to indicate that TDC is directly under the water pump. This is not good.

No that's not, but it's pretty damn close... Either you didn't really have it at exactly TDC, or maybe your timing chain is pretty worn/streched or jumped a tooth... If so, a timing chain set/gasket set is in order...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still can not locate the timing tab - is it on the timing cover?

The lack of spark was dur to a bag Ignition Coil - I purchased one from Autozone and got a spark. I set the Air Gap and after repeated tries starting the engine - with no success - i am back to no spark from the ignition coil. There is a greater problem here.

·
4,032 Posts
Here is where the timing marks are. They are moulded right into the timing chain cover. They are really buried down in there... and if you have a power steering pump and/or smog pump in the way, it's darn near impossible to see em'..

Sounds like you have a loose/bad connection somewhere. Maybe the pickup in the dist is on it's way out. Maybe you got the gap set too big? (Make sure you're using a brass feeler gauge when doing that) But if you had spark and then jiggled some wires around and then no spark, I'd be looking at the wires you jiggled around.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.