DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Dodge ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel has no power. The codes i have are overboost, and injection pump timing malfunction. I dont know if the injector pump is fouled up because the waste gate is stuck shut and the computer is shutting the fuel down because of to much boost? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Which codes are you seeing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The codes i am seeing are p0216 and p0234. It starts to smoke blue and break up between 2000 and 2500 rpm

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? EGT gauge? Boost gauge? Are you saying you know for sure the wastegate is stuck shut? If it's not advancing the timing enough over 2k rpm, that would explain the smoke. Are you sure it's blue and not white? Any black?

My first guess is MAP sensor if your wastegate is still functioning, but could be any number of things.

0216 is usually a sign of a dying/dead vp44

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any gauges at the moment but in the next month or two im going to be getting an edge cts2. Is there anyway that i could check fuel pressure before i get that? and how? The truck puffs a little black right over 2k rpm and then it turns a light blue right away after that. I took the waste gate actuator off the turbo to make sure that was not the problem and the arm going into the turbo does to not budge at all. im going to be taking the turbo off and getting a rebuild kit for it soon. Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The lift pump fuel pressure needs to be known,
Fuel pressure test kits are available at most chain type auto parts stores. The gasser kits work fine.

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
P0216 Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure.
High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible
wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.

P0234 Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded.
Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the fuel pressure and have 18psi at idle and 10psi at 2800 rpm's. The gauge holds steady at whatever pressure.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Your boost pressure doesn't have anything to do with your injector pump.The wastegate was probably stuck closed and the boost exceeded the 21psi limit, setting off the high boost code.
The P0216 means the injector pump has internal issues if your lift pump pressure is ok, which the numbers you show are ok according to the Cummins spec.
You might try resetting the code and see if it comes back but Mike is right about it being a code of impending death for the injector pump..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for all the help. I reset the codes when i checked the fuel pressure and the truck still did the same thing and triggerd the same codes. So i guess ill be buying a new injector pump.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.