DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so about a week ago I found myself a 1975 Dodge D200 adventurer with a 440, so this is my first ever Dodge and it being 45 years old it wasn’t in perfect shape! But it is driveable and when I drove it at night I found out that it had no dash lights. So I took the gauges out and found out that some of my instrument panel light bulb sockets were broken, so I put the gauges back in without new sockets and when I hooked everything back up, the truck wouldn’t start, I’ve got no lights anywhere, it won’t turn over at all, no clicks anywhere, I checked the battery and that is good, I am lost with this one. Any help anybody has I greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update on the problem with the truck, I ended up bypassing the ammeter gauge and I still had absolutely nothing power wise. So after some thinking I bought a starter relay and some battery cables and attached them, and after I put on one of the battery cables, as soon as I would touch the other cable to the post, the engine would turn over and there were some sparks. So I googled a bit and read about overtightening a nut on the starter relay, so I backed it off and just snugged it up and then I could put the battery cable on fine, but I still had nothing. Then if I push down on the positive wire at the relay, tightening the nut, the engine turns over and there are no sparks, but it seems like I have no power to the plugs, any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never had that happen with the relay. Check for spark from the coil, relay wiring, fusible link at the relay, distributor is turning, ballast resistor

·
Registered
896 Posts
These wiring harnesses are getting old and frail. I would look closely (and with an Ohm/Volt meter) at the wires you disturbed pulling out the instrument cluster. Then I'd trace the the ignition wires to the bulkhead block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
when you say bypassing amp meter did you remove the wires from the gauge and leave them dangling or did you connect them together? sounds like you have some issue on the ignition side of the wiring harness (i think the middle block in the bulkhead panel) break out the multi meter and look for continuity along the ignition wire.

while you have the dash off make sure your wiring harness hasn't rubbed through the insulation and tape over the many years and is making contact with the chassis. also make sure those pins on the rear of the gauge cluster are solid connections to the board. they may need a dab of solder.

look for "fixes" previous owners did too, you may find a bad butt connector has come loose (if you replace it get the waterproof heat shrink ones)

i had a similar issue but with the starter not getting full voltage, ended up fixing it by putting a 6AWG cable from the truck bed to the chassis as the stock ground was not very clean. dont know why that worked but hey it did.

if you jump the solenoid to the starter poster does it start?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts