DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my 2001 1500 ram tonight tried to leave a set of lights and motor just reved up no power to rear wheels at all. Motor would rev up easily...so it was not linking up to rear wheels....put into 4wd and felt like power was being put to front wheels but truck did not move...did not try to make it...tow truck lifts front end and with tranny in neutral and transfer case also rear tires would not roll so put them on the dollies and dropped off at local tran/diff shop till monday.
Any ideas as to problem ? Can the transfer case work only to one set of axles ?
There was a slight vibration before I approached the set of lights.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Blew the T-case- I did it in a HMMWV one time, same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to garage and the pinion gear shaft broke....the posi plates are worn so replacing those and new bearings....$1300 including taxes. When I get truck back will take a look and post a pic of broken shaft if they have not tossed it.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
McD said:
Talked to garage and the pinion gear shaft broke....the posi plates are worn so replacing those and new bearings....$1300 including taxes. When I get truck back will take a look and post a pic of broken shaft if they have not tossed it.
For that kinda dough, I'd definitely tell them I want the broken parts back. You'll know they were replaced and you'll get to take pics to show us :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I trust these guys...wanted shaft to see it maybe send a letter and pic to dodge....

·
Registered
17 Posts
did they say what caused the pinion to break? just curious because my posi is also in bad shape but i have been putting it off, hope that doesnt have anything to do with it, or i'll probably be in the same boat soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shop did not give me a reason for that but did get some ideas from another board.
Here is a link if I tried a synopsis of the info I would probably muddle it up

LINK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.