DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 dodge ram d-150, fuel-injected, with the 5.2L 318, I don't have a tachometer so I can't tell you exactly, but when I take off I don't get a whole lot of torque and power (as compared to by fathers '97 jeep grand cherokee with the same engine) Could there be something wrong? and/or is there something I could do to get better performance

I was looking at cold air intakes, how much does that help performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
description is a little vague. does the trans shift o.k. or does it seem to be stuck in a higher gear? does it feel like the engine is bogging down like too little or too much fuel? need to isolate engine performance from trans performance to find source of power loss.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The vehicle being 14 years old, probably needs minor maintenance or upgrade modification with the following ideas in mind: tune-up and dyno-test; cylinder head/valve grinding (take engine compression test prior to removing heads to record as found readings); install new headers exhaust system; install "goodies" (replacing carbs with matching electronic components); and/or installing engine oil booster compound (the cheapest). Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the transmission was just rebuilt, it shifts fine....the engine seems to be bogging a little....at least until it can get the rpms high, then I feel no bog

I am going to replace the fuel pump, it seems to be giving me problems, randomly, sometimes it acts like it gets enough fuel, and sometimes it acts like it doesn't get enough fuel.....and being 14 years old.....it might be time for a new one anyhow.....do you recommend any particular fuel pump?

I did recently replace the fuel filter and fuel lines

Also, I did replace the spark plugs and distributor cap, but not the plug wires....they did not 'look' bad.....but that might not mean anything...i'll have to order a set of replacements

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
theycallmepj said:
I have a 1992 dodge ram d-150, fuel-injected, with the 5.2L 318, I don't have a tachometer so I can't tell you exactly, but when I take off I don't get a whole lot of torque and power (as compared to by fathers '97 jeep grand cherokee with the same engine) Could there be something wrong? and/or is there something I could do to get better performance

Thanks
It ain't have the power of the later magnum engine. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
theycallmepj said:

Thanks
It ain't going to have the of the later model engine. :gr

_patrio
OH,OH! Excuse my screwup.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A huge part of it is going to be the weight differences. The cherokee is going to weigh in at just over 4000 pounds

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Check your timing, replace the coolant teperature sensor this is the sensor that tells the computer what temp the egnine is at and is NOT the same sensor/sender that controls the dash gauge. Run a can of SeaFoam thru the gas tank, can get at NAPA/Carquest for $6. www.seafoamsales.com
Get a Carter, AC Delco, or Mopar fuel pump...stay away from the junk at Autozone. Try www.makeitmopar.com for a Mopar pump with a 25% discount.
Might try a new coil and plug wires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.