DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I bought a 1989 Dodge Ram to drive to work since my Dodge dually diesel is using to much fuel. The 1989 has been setting for 2 years and when I drive it I can't get over 45mph it starts cutting out. If anyone can please help it would greatly appreciate.
Thanks!!

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Could be a filter. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. I would start there first. BTW, my CTD Dodge gets 2 times the mileage as my gas Dodge :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ashlin05 said:
:help: I bought a 1989 Dodge Ram to drive to work since my Dodge dually diesel is using to much fuel. The 1989 has been setting for 2 years and when I drive it I can't get over 45mph it starts cutting out. If anyone can please help it would greatly appreciate.
Thanks!!

I just had this problem and it drove me crazy. I have an 89 as well. Take off the whole breather assembly and air intake hose, drive it like that then tell me how it works. Mine was being too restrictive for the carb and it wasnt getting near enough air.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If its been sitting two years the first thing I would do is a complete tune up and all fluid changes. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
595 Posts
You buy another truck to drive b/c your diesel eats to much fuel? So lets see, you spend money to buy a truck, put insurance on it, and than have to do a tune up since its been sitting. Did you really save any money?

Take all the spark plugs out and make sure they are still clean and in good working order. Friend had a RAM that would idle fine but as soon as you got moving it wouldn’t go past 40ish. Plugs were shot. You mite also want to check the wires and make sure they are all going to the right plug in the right order.

I don't know about your diesel, but mine is gets 20 + if I'm not pulling a trailer and keep my foot out of it. Not to bad for a truck that weighs over 9k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.