DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
MoparLady said:
Start small then go bigger with diagnosis. It's either a clogged/gunked up oil pick up, a bad/faulty oil sending unit, or the oil pump is bad. There are no other possibilities.
Yah, well if the oil pump or pickup is clogged/gunked up like you say, what do you think the rest of the motor looks like inside? Once you get that all fixed up by putting a new sensor in and cleaning the pump up, sure the guage is going to say you've got all kinds of pressure, but that's useless anyways since the oil isn't getting to the parts that need it since they're in a coat of sludge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I've had 2 oil pumps replaced by a good friend who owns a station. His claim along with the dealership was the the screen in the pump is not very big and cones into a funnel like chamber area which causes the screen inside the pump to get clog quickly as the engine builds more sludge over the years. Both times I replaced the pump my problem went away. But very expensive to replace each time. The problem is now back. I forgot to mention the first attempt I made was to have the oil in the engine back flushed by the dealership. That also worked for a few years. I haven't tried Seafoam as of yet. That's next I think. My concern was all the sludge that gets loose blocking the screen inside the pump. It's not very big at all. And when you get to the pump and your not sure if it's just the screen or maybe it is the pump, I opted to change the pump both times. I no longer am willing to pay for that option. Then engine is 14 years old and has 170000 mi. on it. I'll just try the Seafoam and hope for the best.

Oh yea. One excellent advice given to me last year was to use 20w-50w oil. This has worked well for a while now. I recently went back to 10w-40w last month and the pressure has dropped into the red zone went I'm at idle. I also used to use Lucas oil treatment (50/50 mix of lucas treatment and oil) prior to switching oil weights last year and that help out just as well. Except for when it got cold. Too thick and I had to go back to straight oil

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bondman35a said:
ok thanks i just reread it. So i think i'll do the sea foam. Where do you get the T to put into the oil sending unit location? is there just one standard sized oil fitting pipe or what? I was looking at summit for them so i have an idea. Did you just keep driving while it would drop? Sorry for all the dumb questions
OMG I'm SO sorry for not getting back to you sooner! (My stupid modem AND my wireless PCI card went bad & I've been without internet until just a few minutes ago, LOL!!)

We actually had a T just laying around our "spare parts" box(es) I think it was 1/8th inch npt...but that's just an eyeball gestimate.

The first few times my oil pressure dropped to zero I dropped it in neutral & started to coast off to the side of the road (in case it was going to go bad really fast!) but then before I could coast to the side of the road, it would pop back up to normal...so after that, I started just driving through it like it wasn't happening...

Did you run any Seafoam yet? Just curious since I've been out of the loop...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have gone through the same thing on my 99 truck. The oil pump pick up screen is clogged. I dropped the pan and cleaned the screen. You won't believe the build up on it when you pull it off and take look at it. I replaced the pump when I had the pan off, I think the pan gasket cost more than the pump. It not a simple job but if you take your time you can probably do it yourself. I bought somekind of cleaner at the parts house that comes with a screen basket to soak your parts in. It works well to break down the carbon build up. Let me know if you need the name of it and I can get it when I get back to the house. I think this is a design flaw in the pump and pick up screen but they will never admit it. Good luck, Tim...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a dakota(bought used) that had the oil pressure go to zero after about 10 miles. I pulled the pain and found lots of sludge. After cleaning the pan, iput seafoam in the oil and it stopped all the lifter ticking and the oil was suprisingly clean when I changed it after 3000 miles. I reloacted my oil pressure sender to the top of the intake manifold. I purchased 1/8 inch copper tubing and fittings from ACE hardware. I connected a T at the top and connected my oil pressure aguge line there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright thanks for all your replies guys, and girls. Took it into the shop, they hooked up a gauge to it and the pressure was in fact at 0 so it wasn't the sensor. They figured it was a clogged pick up screen so they pulled the pan, cleaned it all up and replaced the pump. They also took a bearing out to see if it was worn, it wasn't too bad i guess. Works good now, its been a few weeks since this has happen and it has been working ever since. Not to bad for $300, and they flushed the radiator. Hope to only hang on to this truck for a couple more months. Need to get one with the straight 6 lol :D . Thanks again!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.