DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have had my muffler cut off for a while now. I've been told im losing MPG and HP by not having it. Is this true? If so what muffler should I get... It does feel like it has no backpressure when I rev it up in park.

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
I would like to know also. I haven't had a muffler in a long time.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Don't need back pressure.
That's what modified exhaust is for, to get rid of it.
Just how can you feel back pressure?
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
dont think you really need it. if inspections give you a hard time for the windshield sticker, i'd say just put a glass pack on it. the oe cat is a good muffler. the oe cat is HUGE!

·
Registered
33 Posts
all motors need some back pressure. you will learn that when you burn a valve.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Haven't burnt a valve in 60 years of reducing back pressure including tuned exhaust where there was negative pressure.
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
33 Posts
reduced back pressure is one thing no back pressure is another. and if your running a tuned exhaust means you put money into the motor which means you have stainless valves and harder seats therefore you wont burn a valve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, I have had my muffler cut off for a while now. I've been told im losing MPG and HP by not having it. Is this true? If so what muffler should I get... It does feel like it has no backpressure when I rev it up in park.
No muffler vs muffler results in the same hp and mileage unless your old muffler fell apart on the inside which would give you a little gain in both when you cut it off.

·
jqRam
76 Posts
i felt no back pressure when i reved up with true straight pipe, i didnt lose any mpg at all, and i got more power, due to the clogged up cat material i pounded out. now i got the super 44 cuz it was just ingodly loud.
in reguards to the no muffler there should not be any neg effects, my buddy has the cat intact and no muffler, works just the same as when he had the muffler, still a beefy sound. u should be fine dont worry about not havin a muffler

·
jqRam
76 Posts
btw what size pipes are you running? stock?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Reducing exhaust backpressure usually results in increased MPG.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Well you do want some back pressure what you want is more flow allowing more air in to let more air out but still keeping some back pressure.
Basically this means on stock engines you want to run some exhaust as after a point don't gain you start loosing. If you increase your air intake, cold air, head work, bigger tb, etc then you and can run less restricted exhaust.
This also changes with almost all vehicles as to what helps them.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Thread is from 2011?

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Soo I thought I had saw it before just came up as a new post so gave my .02.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
well since this post ahs been started up again... i can say that i know my truck definitely seems happier having some back pressure back. when the cat was gutted with the straight pipe last summer you could tell it was missing the back pressure (got the odd back fire when revved to WOT) Though the new exhaust just went on a couple days ago the truck does seem to be running better having some back pressure back again

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still running my truck with no muffler just the stock cat, when I rev it up past 3500 RPM it loses the power (it seems) felt below 3500 RPM. Idk I think im going to put a muffler on it one day.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Still running my truck with no muffler just the stock cat, when I rev it up past 3500 RPM it loses the power (it seems) felt below 3500 RPM. Idk I think im going to put a muffler on it one day.
the stock intake mani dont flow well over 3500. now the exhaust flows too well and the engine is starving for more air. bet if there was an M1 manifold on there, that rpm would fly!
its amazing how the balance must be met on both ends of the engine. improving one side will only work if both sides are improved.

·
Loud pipes
51 Posts
I've been strait piped on my 99 ram 318 for 2 or 3 years and run in to no issues besides with Johnny law... And from what I understand you WILL NOT burn the valves out due to the computer system on late model vehicles note my truck has been strait piped for so long that it will not even throw o2 codes any more :D good dodgeeee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.