Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I have a 94 Dakota with a 5.2 Magnum. It has recently decided it doesn't want to idle. It dies when coming to a stop and will only start with the throttle open nearly half way. It seems to run okay while cruising, but as soon as I come almost to a stop, it craps out.

I searched this forum and found a couple of similar problems in some of the archived threads and checked a few of the related fixes. I checked the MAP Sensor(continuity to SBEC good and voltage 5v and at idle 2.6v), it seems to have good fuel pressure and the injectors seem to be okay(they dribble consistantly when cranking). The CEL has come on twice(It throws a code: 13-no change in MAP), but only when it idles down and is barely running just before it dies(around 400 RPM). The condition seems to get slightly worse after the engine is fully warmed up. I swapped out the ICS at the back of the throttle body. I had removed it for cleaning, most likely got some carb cleaner inside of it and it got stuck in one posistion. About 6 weeks ago I put plugs, wires, air filter, a cap and rotor in it.

I'm down to one car now(an 02 Neon ACR) and I've got to get this thing running.

I also have a 95 B250(not running, it has an intermittent miss condition that can't be figured out, even by the dealer!) with the same engine package, so I can rob some parts(like I did for the ICS) from it for testing purposes. I just need some direction here!

With the luck I'm having with both of these vehicles, I'm starting to lose my faith in Mopars! I've never driven anything else, so this isn't good!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Banned
95 Posts
I would try changing your TPS sensor. If the MAP sensor checks out, then the only other possibility is the IAC solenoid.

Unless of course it's a horrible vacuum leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try changing the TPS. By IAC, I'm guessing that's the idle air control solenoid. I miss-named that part thinking it was an Idle Control Solenoid. I already changed it out.

Thanks for the tip.

John

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The Vehicle Speed Sensor/Distance Sensor can also cause problems on deceleration.
You could have a bad injector, pull your plugs and read them...look for any that are running rich. You may also have a bad computer that is keeping an injector/s open when it shouldnt.
Possible crankshaft or camshaft position sensor problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally gave up and took the truck into my local dealer.

They determined that the egr valve was bad. I replaced the valve and the truck is purring like a kitten. On inspection I found that the poppet inside the valve was eroded away, leaving the path wide open at all times.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my 95 is doing the same thing currently. i just ordered an egr valve the other day ago and hope that fixes it. one trick that i found to keep it running though was just pulling off a vacume line at the intake. ran almost like normal after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.