DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the other night and went to switch to high beams. No headlights. The running, dash, and tail lights were all still working and the little blue high beam indicator was on but no headlights. Switched back to lows and they work fine. I think that its a problem with the dimmer switch. Would it be that or the head light switch or something different? This is on a 1984 W250. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. I guess they could be but I wouldn't think they would both burn out at the same time. They worked, I switched to lows when I met another car, then when I went to switch back they didnt work. I did notice that they flickered a couple of times when I switched to highs a day or so before they went out. That's what's leading me to think the floor dimmer switch.

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Probably just the switch....

BUT!!! And it was the strangest damn thing I ever saw....

Our town plow truck (94' Chebbie 1 ton) ... the headlights just went out on it one day. Both the truck lights and the plow lights .... Low beams and high beams on BOTH ... Nothing.
Thinking (rationally, so I thought) that all four lights couldn't possibly all burn out at once, that couldn't be the problem.
So after replacing this n' that and tearing my hair out for a few hours, it turned out that, YES all 4 lights had burned out at once. Absolutely freekin' amazing.
So I replaced all 4 lights. Everything is OK now... But I was thinking 'WHY would all 4 lights burn out at once? Must have been a voltage spike or something. Bad voltage regulator?
So I went over to a friends house (A crusty young mechanic) because he's got one of these MAC Tool computer gizmo's (A $10,000 tool he tells me) that ya plug in and it records everything going on with the engine. We let that thing run for 3-4 hours... idling ... running the RPM up ... And everything in between. The 'analyser/computer' came up with absolutely nothing.

So, I figure it's one of two things...

A: I'm in The Twilight Zone
B: It's a Chebbie

But point being, yeah, filiments can burn out at the same time. Did you happen to go over a big bump or something? :D :D :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I guess its possible that they both burned out at the exact same moment. My question is this: Can the dimmer switch cause the high beams not to work but the high beam indicator to work? Also, do these trucks have headlight relay's? I just got this not to long ago and havn't had a chance to dig around in it much.

·
4,032 Posts
Yeah I guess its possible that they both burned out at the exact same moment. My question is this: Can the dimmer switch cause the high beams not to work but the high beam indicator to work?

Honestly, I have no idea... I'm going to GUESS that perhaps the indicator might still work .... Hmmm .... I just might go out and unplug the high beams just to see .... You've got my curiosity up now ...;)

Also, do these trucks have headlight relay's?

84? Don't think so ... (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) This, is one of the great things (Among a few others) about adding a relay into the headlight circuit with our ol' rigs....

I just got this not to long ago and havn't had a chance to dig around in it much.

Well, let us know what you find .... I'll bet it's the dimmer switch though, and shouldn't cost ya too much to replace... Quick and easy.
My one suggestion would be, BUY THE BEST ONE YOU CAN ... Hopefully 'Made in USA' ... Our old Dodge electrical systems are bad enough, without throwing 'Made In China' crap in the mix.... ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. I'll try that. I may try putting in a relay set up in it sometime. Although right now the headlights are nice and bright. They work really good...when they work. lol

·
Yogi
202 Posts
Just looked at the FSM for my 77. The pin on switch that powers high beams also feeds high beam indicator. If one works they both should work. If you have Meter pull plug on back of headlamp and check voltage. That will tell you if you have bad lamps or wiring problems.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it is your floor switch...pull the connector out and you will see it is probably melted a little or corroded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just looked at the FSM for my 77. The pin on switch that powers high beams also feeds high beam indicator. If one works they both should work. If you have Meter pull plug on back of headlamp and check voltage. That will tell you if you have bad lamps or wiring problems.

Get a test light or better yet a multimeter and see if the high beam plug on each headlight is getting power. This will tell you if the problem is with the bulbs or not. You can also bench test each headlight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I replaced the dimmer and still no high beams. I pulled the drivers side connector off of the headlight and hooked up a test light. Geuss what...I've got power to the high beam terminal on it. I would have never thought that both high beams would have blown at the same time. Guess I'll go buy two new lights and put them in. Only thing I can think of is they were old and had weak filaments.

·
4,032 Posts
Well I replaced the dimmer and still no high beams. I pulled the drivers side connector off of the headlight and hooked up a test light. Geuss what...I've got power to the high beam terminal on it. I would have never thought that both high beams would have blown at the same time. Guess I'll go buy two new lights and put them in. Only thing I can think of is they were old and had weak filaments.

OK, I'm not insane then .... (Nor is Acton Mike) :D

How's that saying go? "Truth oft times stranger than fiction" .. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
that would be my next guess..does the instrument clust pulse in brightness as you idle or get brighter as you add more throttle?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
yes seems like what the guys said..you spiked voltage/amps when you had the high beams on and killed them. i would have thought a blown fuse first but i guess...gremlins

·
4,032 Posts
yes seems like what the guys said..you spiked voltage/amps when you had the high beams on and killed them. i would have thought a blown fuse first but i guess...gremlins
Hahaha! Hey Diver ... I'll bet you've heard it and said it yourself ...
"Shit Happens" ...
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.