DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem recently where i'll be driving and my headlights will just go out (but foglights stay on thankfully) and it will remain like that for random amounts of time then they will come back on.

I know its not the headlight switch because the brights still work fine. If the brights wouldnt work then that would mean the headlight switch cant tell if its set in headlight setting or marker light setting.. so it works fine on that end.

I'm thinking the problem is the high-beam switchbar, or something under the steering column. Any guesses?

so far when they go out i can beat on the bottom of the steering column and they will come back on after a few seconds usually, but that's no fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The headlights are controlled by a relay that is located in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment next to the battery. I would guess that the relay contacts have gotten corroded or loose. I recommend check there first.

Let us know what the outcome is/was!!

Scott

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The headlights are controlled by a relay that is located in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment next to the battery. I would guess that the relay contacts have gotten corroded or loose. I recommend check there first.

Let us know what the outcome is/was!!

Scott
I'll check that out! thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am leaning towards switch.
Mine has issues, if I click to high beams, and come back to low beams. I have to click back and forth a bunch of times before it finally gives low beams back.

I wonder if the contacts within the switch on low are crusty / corroded / worn.

I plan replacing entire switch, but may not have to if something else is a more likely culprit?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am leaning towards switch.
Mine has issues, if I click to high beams, and come back to low beams. I have to click back and forth a bunch of times before it finally gives low beams back.

I wonder if the contacts within the switch on low are crusty / corroded / worn.

I plan replacing entire switch, but may not have to if something else is a more likely culprit?
Thats the exact problem i'm having. Flipping between hi/low a few times will solve it usually, or i might have to beat on the bottom side of the steering column.

·
D981500
228 Posts
I'd say it's the dimmer switch. Around $55 at Oreilley's. Had the exact same problem with mine. All better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.