DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I went to mc donalds the other night and shut the truck off while i was waiting for my order when I started the truck agian I had no headlights everything else works and the lights are good becouse I ran power to them to get home but even after changeing the headlight switch I still have no headlights

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You forgot to tell us what you are driving, I'll assume it's your 1963 VW Bus? :D

86 D150? Have you looked at the dimmer switch on the floor..if you need a new one get one from NAPA or dealer..the junk from AutoBone does not fit correctly and you have to modify the wiring.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Dimmer switch, been there

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I knew I could get the answer on here thanks guys..................but Ive still got problems obviously becouse the purple wire had melted the wire housing and welded its self to the dimmer switch so I had to improvise and use spade connectors but Im still worried about the wire and why it did this in the first place..........any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
cjbarron5 said:
well I knew I could get the answer on here thanks guys..................but Ive still got problems obviously becouse the purple wire had melted the wire housing and welded its self to the dimmer switch so I had to improvise and use spade connectors but Im still worried about the wire and why it did this in the first place..........any Ideas?

Old age, too much current flow thru the switch, which is a design flaw, the location on the floor will also allow moisture to creep into the switch from your shoes and windshield leaks. You can do a re-wire of the headlights and use relays to keep the current away from the headlight switch and the dimmer switch, this also gives brighter headlights and dash lights. It's fairly easy, you can make the wires yourself or purchase pre-made wiring kits.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I seem to recall reading a thread some time ago where instructions were given on what was needed and the instructions were given on how to rewire the old dog's ('84 D1000) headlights using relays to prevent meltdowns of the headlight system

does anyone recall this ?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
acton mike said:
I seem to recall reading a thread some time ago where instructions were given on what was needed and the instructions were given on how to rewire the old dog's ('84 D1000) headlights using relays to prevent meltdowns of the headlight system

does anyone recall this ?

You'll find a ton of articles on the headlight re-wire...here's a few.
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php?action=howtoshow;id=55

Buy this guys Tech Book...he's a pro...his articles are also right on!
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Another pro...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.