DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 2500 with 174k miles on it. Right now it's stranded a mile from my house, I shut it off and it will not start. It won't even crank.

Recently it started having a short delay between turning the key and actually cranking over sometimes, it also has a problem with draining the battery (been like that since I got it, if I drive it everyday, which I do, then it's not a problem). If I don't drive it for a few days then I have to charge it. I put a new battery in it recently, and it's fully charged, I have it on a charger where it is parked.

When I turn the key on nothing happens, the gauge needles don't rotate. I can run the stereo, heat, wipers, everything etc.

I put in a new starter (their bench tester was out so I took the plunge on a new one). No change. I put a 12v light on the wire to the starter solenoid and It does not light up when I turn the key.

If I apply 12v to the solenoid then the starter engages and turns the engine but the truck will not start even with the key in the "on" position.

I pulled all the fuses related to starting and they all look fine. I swapped the relay with the AC relay (same part number on top) and still nothing.

I figured it must be the ignition module so I swapped that out and it has also made no difference.

I'm getting stumped here, anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I checked things out some more.

There are 4 terminals on the starter relay. 1) 12v continuous, 2) 12v intermittent (from key in start position) 3) out to starter solenoid 4) clutch interlock

I get 12v at the relay when I turn the key, and I made a small jumper wire to connect that relay terminal to the one that sends 12v to the starter and when I turn the key the starter cranks.

I'm thinking maybe the problem lies in the clutch interlock, but I disconnected the wires from the clutch sensor and wired them together to bypass the sensor and it makes no difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave up with the truck as it was too cold to work outside and I had checked out all the fairly easy stuff.

I got the truck towed and checked out by a local mechanic. He said he had to call a Chrysler hotline for help... Turned out to be a bad wire in the harness around the back of the engine. He bypassed it and said it works fine now, I should et the truck back tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts