DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 92 Dakota. It gets terrible gas mileage. I've been searching for the problem. I wanted to see if the catalytic converter was the problem and found there was no converter. How does this (no converter) effect engine and performance??? DOes engine run the same?? Is O2 sensor effected? Is temp effected??? Any help would be appreciated.

Can I get any "universal" converter to install??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
476 Posts
the engine should run better without the cat, with the increased flow, although I'm not sure about 92 dakotas, my 88 doesnt have an 02 sensor after the cat. If yours is the same way then Im pretty sure it would not affect the o2 sensor. Has you air filter been changed or cleaned lately? That could be causing crappy mileage, also run some injector cleaner in your next tank of gas one of the injectors could possible be sticking open longer than it should. Also most universal cats can be used just dont get one with an o2 sensor opening if the truck didnt come with it.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have one O2 sensor before the cat. My air filter is new and all of the injectors were sent out for professional off-line cleaning and performance check. Your insight has been very helpful...thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mines doing the same, I'm getting 21-24 mpg and have replaced every sensor and tune up item I can find on it. Originally getting 32 mpg before I did a simple tune up and this is just a simple 4 cylinder... one of them weird things to figure out the dealership techs couldn't.... :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
92 only has 1 O2 sensor before the cat. Do you have the 3.9 or 5.2? Both get crappy mileage anyway. My 92 318 is lucky to see 14. If you have a 318 check for a blown plenum gasket. Also clean the IAT, TPS and IAC sensors. Proper plug gapping, new cap/rotor if not already done. Fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail - might want to put a fresh one in too. If the O2 sensor is old consider a new one. Depending on the miles you may also have bad valve seals and/or rings.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just plucked a '92 318 (with only 62K miles) from the boneyard. It was surprising to find the cap so badly worn. The main contact (on the outside) that the wire from the ignition coil hooks to, was only about half there! The rotor and the eight contacts on the inside of the cap were no better! This will cause a serious hurt for gas mileage. So, if you haven't done it yet, check your cap and rotor (like Sneezer suggested). You may be surprised. Also, although plug wires can get expensive, if your wires still say "MOPAR," then replace them with a quality set of either 7mm or 8mm wires. Just a thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have a 94 dakota 3.9 with no cat and a flowmaster muffler...i dont think any of the 1st gen dakotas had an 02 sensor on the cat...mine didnt and it doesn't throw codes with the cat off....it runs better than it did with it in and sounds pretty sweet. i recently cleaned out my injectors and cleaned out my k&n filter...i've been getting 18 mpg which is good for me since i was only getting 13-15 when i first got it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.