DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so my brakes lately been feeling like they were in need of replacing em 99 2500 cummins BTW .However when I checked they had meat on em.Well lastnite I went on a ride into the city & first thing that happened was the dash illumination went out.My boost&egt gauge runs off of it also.I looked&fuse was blown so I replaced &it worked for around a minute then blew again . I've never had this problem before.Well then about 20 mons later I turn the truck off for about 1 min start her back up & the abs light came on & then the brake light & as I went to slow down the brake pedal went all the way to the floor.Pulled over no leaking brake fluid that I could see.Had no choice but to drive it home 60 miles.I could barley use the back brakes .
want ideas what could be going on &Where to start? Brake pads are worn but there enough to stop it.Were about to go out of town so need to fix asap
BTW probably worth mentioning last week I came to a intersection & a car ran a light I had to spam on brakes it said error & felt like it locked up&I came to a screeching halt.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Helpful to mention if it's Rear Wheel Anti Lock (RWAL) or 4 wheel Anti Lock Brake System (ABS; it has a wire going to each front wheel); rear brake lines by frame/fuel tank often rust/fail (fluid may be soaked up by mud/dirt), that's all i got.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I went to slow down the brake pedal went all the way to the floor.
The brake line running next to the gas tank is known to burst due to rust. You checked the pads but how about the obvious like brake fluid in the master cylinder?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brake line running next to the gas tank is known to burst due to rust. You checked the pads but how about the obvious like brake fluid in the master cylinder?
master cylinder was full

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but it is what it is.I didn't notice [email protected] all before hand.Keep in mind I bought this truck & took my buddy with me to look it over as I can't crawl around to good on the ground due to health but anyways.
I went outside&did the front drivers inner side of tire was wet.Well 1 of my Pitt bulls likes to wiz on my tires so didn't wanna touch or smell, I looked inside the wheel housing which now has Mr wearing my neck brace&Ill be in agony for a week..rant sorry.Well this is what I saw.
that's again the driver side
now here's the passengers side.

not near as bad but still bad.So my first question is how could driver side got that bad? Next what should I do to repair it besides changing the rotors? I mean I have a basic idea but this looks like it may be a little bit more than usual.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
cutthroatxxx said:
well I know I'm gonna get slammed for this

So my first question is how could driver side got that bad?

Next what should I do to repair it besides changing the rotors? I mean I have a basic idea but this looks like it may be a little bit more than usual.
Maybe PO had only replaced pass side rotor at some time!!

... Best to do "both" sides, new rotors (or get junkyard rotor for dr side and machine both) and new pads (always avoid soft/cheap pads, they just wear "uneven/crooked"): caliper/s???

... Hate to imagine what the back brakes/drums might look like!!!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The caliper got stuck and didn't move. That's what caused it. They move on a rod that needs to greased to keep them form doing this. Believe it or not i have seen worse!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.