DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where are you mounting the bottles ? how much of a shot can a hemi with just a few bolt ons SAFELY handle ?

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
Whats your view of bolt ons. Im going to be running: intake, tuner, and exhaust with a 100 shot. People tell me its very safe.

Just change your plugs to NGK 4306 and an optional 180* thermo.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
There are guys running HUGE shots of N2O thru these engines 250 HP +... w/dual, staged units.... the general rule of thumb is 125 HP on Hyperutectic Pistons, detonation free. Anything after that and it is a roll of the dice.... but many are doing it.

TJ

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
Im guessing Hyperutectic pistons are what we have? Cause I ain't running no aftermarket pistons. . .

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
actually, our pistons are eutectic, according to all the specs I have seen, which differ just a little in the alloy percentages..... and it is true that many have used higher shots with no harm.... many more than have had failures... and there are a couple of them..... the best bet if you want to go very large shots is to use multiple stages, but the best idea is to install forged pistons w/a good forged aftermarket rod.... oh and a forged crank is not a bad idea either!!! H... tis only money!!

TJ

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
What are my options for forged pistons. I would rather spend a little on making my motor stronger than replacing it completely when it backfires.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
I have not really been keeping up with the forged piston availablility.... I do know that Federal Mogul has a Hyperutectic replacement that will be a small step up but I would not use it for N2O, I am thinking I have seen Ross Pistons in forged and there were at least 2 more companies in the works with them.... a little research should bring them to light....

TJ

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
Screw it. Ill just run nitrous as is.

I really wish superchips gave us the availability to adjust our spark knock along with our timing. That would put alot of my worries to rest. But I guess the 87 tune will have to do for now.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
SiZzOuRcE said:
Screw it. Ill just run nitrous as is.

I really wish superchips gave us the availability to adjust our spark knock along with our timing. That would put alot of my worries to rest. But I guess the 87 tune will have to do for now.
just throw some octane booster in the tank with spraying if you want a little extra protection.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You can use a SMT6 to back out some timing.

I can get forged pistons starting at about $800 (depends on how crazy you want the pistons) They are all custom made by one of the best piston companies in the country.

I sprayed a bone stock (well it has a flowmaster) truck with a 150 shot (stage 1 50 stage 2 100) with no problems.

Get the Zex kit, it's cheap, easy to install, and has lots of safety features built into it.

My bottle is currently behind the seat, but will be moving to the bed soon.

·
Goodbye My Love . . .
1,761 Posts
I built my NOS kit for under $350. Just awaiting install.

I don't like putting additives in my fuel, doesnt feel right. And the SMT-6 seems a little much for just some timing. If you said your spraying 2 stage on a stock truck, then I don't see a problem with mine.

Any tips you guys might have for us starting out with N20.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well with nitrous if you play safe then no problems. If you start to tinker with the jets looking for more power beyond what the company says will work and is safe then you are playing with fire. It's true with most things, and especially true with nitrous, you get what you pay for. The more you spend on accessories (bottle heater, gauges, fuel pressure safety switch) the safe you are and the better your system will work.

The octane boosters work, and if you want to spray big (say more than 100-125) then use them, or UNLEADED race gas mixed with 93 octane. NEVER spray a hemi truck running anything less than 93 octane. These motors run on the edge of detonation already and nitrous can make that worse if you run cheap gas. ALWAYS run your superchips on "stock" or 87 tune. (The 87 tune actually retards timing which is a good thing on spray).

You should always run the NGK 4306 plugs. Don't run the iridiums, the bosch +2+3+4+10's or splitfires or ANY other plug. Gap the plugs to .035 or .040

Always run a wideband A/F guage too. Try and keep you A/F no higher than 13.0 and 12.5-12.0 is good on the nitrous. Too lean and you have problems.

Nitrous is great stuff, buy a good quality kit from a good company and follow the directions. Don't listen when the internet guys tell you to "change your jets to XX and XX" without calling the company who made your kit to see if it's ok on their system. Different companies use different jets and they are NOT the same.

The only drawback is when you have a problem, the damage will usually be done before you can see. hear or feel it, and it's usually expensive to fix.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes I hit a bone stock truck with a 150 shot (and 200) 2 staged no problems, however I don't reccomend it. I happen to have a couple extra motors around the shop and a killer motor being built so if I hurt one then it's really no big deal. I did it more to prove it could be done, not that it should be done. My new motor I am going to spray untill the coil packs can't light it anymore then back it off a hair, but it also has the best in forged motor parts so it will put up with that.

·
HC-Racing,LLC
1,841 Posts
Diamond will make you a set of pistons for around 750.00
They make all my mustang mod motor pistons custome for me..
I am currently getting a set of 10 made for my Ram srt-10 so I can spray the shoes off of it..
L.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
hey beast did u do the 6.1 top-end conversion from heat and how much does it cost i want it real bad but they never pick up the phone or answer my emails?

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
rollinstnd420 said:
hey beast did u do the 6.1 top-end conversion from heat and how much does it cost i want it real bad but they never pick up the phone or answer my emails?
hahaha...Beast2 is a partial owner of that company :D

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
well answer my damn email than... im jk im sorry for slammin u i just never have heard anything back from the company i called and emailed hell if i knew he was i would have just pm'd him

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.