DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, the Grey Ghost is about ready for new tires. I've been seeing a lot of tire places here in Louisiana offering Nitrogen for tire inflation. Would appreciate hearing the pros and cons of it. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think its a waste of money. What are the benefits? Less moisture? Tires don't last long enough to rot from the inside. More consistent pressure? Not really a factor unless you're racing or something. MPG difference from very slight pressure differences is negligible in a truck. Unless its extremely cheap, I don't see how it could pay for itself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my work, I see well testing done with nitrogen all the time. Down side is, just the sun shinning on the hoses to the pressure recorders cause the nitrogen to expand and contract quickly making a stabilized test hard to run. The sun pops out fromm behind a cloud and the pressure jumps 20-30 lbs (on a 500 PSI test), sun goes behind a cloud, pressure drops that much (that's 16% each way, or almost 6 PSI in a 35 PSI tire). The only benifit in it's use for what we do is (1) Non corrosive, (2) Not explosive in the pressence of hydrocarbons. They use it because of it's expansion factor , allowing 1 large tank to test several wells. I can't see any benifit at all for tires, am I wrong???

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the kind of stuff I was wanting to know. Of coarse, the tire places that handle it talk like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I knew I'd get the honest word from folks on this site!

·
Registered
124 Posts
some things that trickle down from racing are a benefit on the street.
Nitrogen in the tires however is not.

stick to that good ole free compressed O2

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
i dont think they actually charge extra for that, i know i fill mine with it, but thats only because i have a 250 cf bottle in my garage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Security Dodge on Long Island charges 100 bucks for all four tires...If you have a blow out or a flat they will refill the tire for free...

Found this

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

·
Registered
35 Posts
while i wouldnt pay for it in my truck, the benefits are mostly that it doesnt fluctuate pressure as much as compressed air and the nitrogen molecules are much larger than that of whats in the air we breathe, therefore it doesnt slowly leak out like regular compressed air does. however something like 60% of the air in our atmosphere is already nitrogen anyway

i would however use it in my motorcycle tires, only because tire pressure is far more important in it than on a car/truck. it only gets run on the racetrack at full tilt, never on the street

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Costco puts it in all tires for free.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
the nitrogen molecules are much larger than that of whats in the air we breathe, therefore it doesnt slowly leak out like regular compressed air does.
that's the only benefit that I've heard of.
Would be a pain to drive all the way to a tire dealership after wheeling just to air the tires back up with nitrogen.

edit: plus how much can it fluxuate if you are running 15 psi in the front and 13 psi in the rear?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Air is actually 78% nitrogen anyway. It will do absolutely nothing for you in a regular street vehicle, other than lighten your wallet if you pay extra for it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heck, I'm glad I brought the subject up to ya'll. I'm convinced that my new Pirelli Scorpions are going to get the same good old air that's always been used. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
362 Posts
my dad worked at goodyear as a retread engineer and i know for a fact that they put nitrogen in all the semi tires that they retreaded and all the new ones that they sold. And i also no that anyone of us can go out and buy an air compressor that turns air into nitrogen...well extracts the nitrogen. and they shouldn't charge you for it! i know my dads buddy in cincinatti just got one of these machines at the shop he works at and they don't charge to use nitrogen instead of air!
andrew

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm gonna put helium in my tires, as my truck is a little heavier than it should be. :rck:

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I thought I might try acetylene. :jmad:

·
Registered
244 Posts
A chick I know took her jeep liberty and did it She and he husband both said the ride is much better

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dave3825 said:
A chick I know took her jeep liberty and did it She and he husband both said the ride is much better
That's a figment of their imagination. They probably had the tires improperly inflated in the first place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.