DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
low n' SLOW
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my mcgaughys 2/4.5 economy kit installed this up coming weekend but was looking at the Nitro Drop 2 I purchased off stylintrucks.com and they sent me the 8001 for the front and 8504 for the rear. From what I have read this should be for the kit with spindles. Will it work for me or do I have to have a 8006? It wasnt an option on the site. Please help....

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
According to the catalog on belltech's website the 8001 is for 0" of drop, meaning stock length, and the 8006 is for 1-3" of drop. You might be ok, but for the best application I would say the 8006 would be best. I know moparmike is running factory shocks on his econo drop and says the ride is great so with the factory replacements you might be fine

·
low n' SLOW
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already had to return one of the 8504 twice because they kept sending me an old one. They handle the matter nicely but it was a pain. I dont think they even carry the 8006. Its says 0"-2" on there site for the 8001.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I already had to return one of the 8504 twice because they kept sending me an old one. They handle the matter nicely but it was a pain. I dont think they even carry the 8006. Its says 0"-2" on there site for the 8001.
Maybe they know something I don't, I would assume they would, I can check the app guide again really quick and see what it says

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you should be fine, remember, these nitro 2s are drop shocks, with no re-coil, so I dont see an issue running them with coils. I have spindles, and cut my coils, and they have been working great for me, and Ive got 5,000 miles on them

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
where are you having it installed? why not do it yourself? Its really not hard at all, coils are easier than spindles. If you need some help, let me know. Im local, and willing to help you out.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
where are you having it installed? why not do it yourself? Its really not hard at all, coils are easier than spindles. If you need some help, let me know. Im local, and willing to help you out.
You know I never understood why coils are easier than spindles, you still have to knock the spindle lose, only you have to do it in one spot. I guess mabe taking the brakes off and all of that can be a little worse

·
Registered
86 Posts
So did you find out what front shock you should run? Or make a decision yourself? I just installed the rears myself and found the same issue that you did with the fronts. Just putting on the rears is a big difference. I'm still tossing around the idea doing the fronts and am still not sure which one to get.

·
low n' SLOW
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So did you find out what front shock you should run? Or make a decision yourself? I just installed the rears myself and found the same issue that you did with the fronts. Just putting on the rears is a big difference. I'm still tossing around the idea doing the fronts and am still not sure which one to get.
I plan on using the ones I have (8001). If for any reason it doesnt work ill let you know, but as of now I plan on having my drop installed over the weekend!! If anyone else has used the 8001 on a 2/4 spring drop please let me know about your experience thus far.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just got my 2/4.5 deluxe kit in and plan on keeping the stock shocks since my truck only has 5000 miles on it. If the ride is too bad, I plan on going with some Bilsteins.

I talked to Cutten Customs and their price seemed reasonable.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
river rat, don't be offended, but you will not be happy with the ride quality of your truck with stock shocks after the drop. I would suggest buying new shocks, and doing it all at once.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'm very happy with my nitro 2's.

just make sure you take off the extenders on the axles if you have a drop on your truck. when they did my drop they left the extensions on and my truck rode HORRIBLY. what a difference. i just wish they were adjustable. i would love a ride just a tiny tad firmer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am also kind of local and put my drop on myself. PM me if you need anything.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
river rat, don't be offended, but you will not be happy with the ride quality of your truck with stock shocks after the drop. I would suggest buying new shocks, and doing it all at once.
Stock shocks suck! Mine rides like shit! I shouldve bought them but thought i could get away with it. Now im paying for overnite shipping so i dont have to ride around like this

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Its a really funny feeling...I rush to see and look at my truck but i dread getting in a driving it. It really is that miserable. I hope i can get my shocks installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its a really funny feeling...I rush to see and look at my truck but i dread getting in a driving it. It really is that miserable. I hope i can get my shocks installed tomorrow.
howd it go? did you get it done?

i'm curious to see if the shop that did it, did it right. when i got my truck back from the shop after my 4/6 drop (cha-ching! $$), the left the extenders on the axle and bolted my nitro's to the extenders.

i cant tell you how horrible the truck rode until i figured that out and crawled under my truck and fixed it myself. the wheel hop was so bad, one time it spit out the serpentine belt from my engine. literally. :YO:

edit: i'm attaching a pic i found on my phone of the WRONG way to install the shocks for reference. theyre supposed to bolt directly to the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Yeah i got them on a few weeks ago...sorry forgot to post up the results.

I only got the rears...im planning on getting the fronts sometime. They helped my bottoming out a ton. I think ive only bottomed out twice since ive had them on there. Im still in love with the drop...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.