DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1997 Ram 1500 5.2L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's work vehicle is a 97 1500 Ram xtra cab with a 5.2(318) &140K. It is mixing coolant & oil. Due to reputation I pulled heads to replace the gaskets and found the typical cracks between the intake & exhaust valves (no cracks in coolant area of head or other evidence of coolant leak here). Replaced both heads with used redone heads from a reputable machine shop. Also replaced the plenum & lower intake gaskets. The old gaskets were damaged due to my removal so inspection did not show any info to determine coolant entrance. Son has had 2 water pump jobs done in the time he has owned the truck. He bought it when it had 40k on it. He does glass work for homes/businesses with this truck and a light trailer. Truck is well maintained. Recently had to replace the Cat converter when it plugged up. Truck ran fine even full of coolant/oil mix. No sign of water pump noise etc. He never noticed miss from cracked heads though.... After doing work I warmed truck to operating temp and drove it two blocks. Coolant is in oil again---lots of coolant. I drained the oil and let the truck sit for 2 weeks. I pulled the intake off yesterday to see what I did wrong. Could not see anything like the slipped cork end gasket I was expecting. Replaced the intake gaskets again today. Did NOT use any thread sealer on Head bolts or intake bolts (mistake?). I had left the drain plug for the oil pan out to allow all the goop oil/coolant to drain over the past 2 weeks. On fill up of the radiator,an hour and a half after torquing the intake(RTV should have been dry-- 90 degree weather today) COOLANT, through a weak stream, started to DRAIN out of the still open oil pan drain plug hole!!! What gives? What am I missing? Is there history of failed timing cover and or timing cover gaskets with the 5.2....how do I check for this--pressure test? (btw:I did add the RTV to the cork corners & torqued everything using both an inch and ft pound torque wrenches as per manual instructions)--Even if I blew it by not putting sealer on the bolts, this should only produce minimal coolant loss and only on running the engine. Engine has not been started yet on this 2nd intake gasket. What do I do to figure out this problem? Will I ruin Head and intake gaskets if I remove the bolts to add thread sealer now that the bolts have been torqued down? Remember the heads were exposed to engine heat from the 1st job on the test run of 2 blocks and engine at operating temp can I remove the head bolts and add the sealer? Ok guys now is your chance to help!!!

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Welcome to DodgeTalk, the best Dodge Forum on the internet :)

I see you have started a thread in the engine section. Good luck!

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
Welcome to DT:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.