DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't mean to ask something that been gone over and over. I did read through a lot of threads but, really didn't see what I wanted to know.

I just purchased a 2007 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4. I have a ton of parts on order 3 of which are an S&B Intake kit, MBRP 4" T-304 exhaust and a Aero Turbine 4040XL.

My question is.... in changing these parts on the truck, is it imparitive to have gauges to monitor boost, temps...etc. I'm thinking about a programmer ( Edge ) but, after reading here about leaving traces which may void the warranty I'll probably hold off on that till I get some miles on the truck.

I appreciate your help. I built my 1995 1500 4x4 5.9L in 1995 which wasn't easy since no one was really making performance parts at the time for the Dodge. This is my first venture into diesel and in the time I've searched and read, I see the online Dodge world and performance parts have come a long way!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Its very nice to know how hot your EGT temps are getting especially when you are towing or hauling something. Heat is the #1 factor in major failures, in engines, trannies, and turbos. With the proper guages you can monitor those critical componets and make sure that they stay within the proper temps. I personally have a Boost, Pyro, and tranny combo. Some like to have fuel pressure instead of the tranny temp, which isn't a bad thing if you have a 6 shooter. You really don't need a tranny temp guage for a manual tranny. Guages also help extend the life of those components. For example, I don't turn my truck off until the Pyro guage gets below 350 degrees. It only takes a minute or two, it beats having to guess where the temp is at. Also, at about 1400 degrees (sustained), you will start to cause turbo damage if you keep it above that temp for too long, especially when towing. So its very good to know, where that temp is when you are towing or hauling... So in a nut shell YES it is inparative to have guages in a diesel truck.

Oh yeah, if you get the EDGE you won't need guages. It will all be digital on the EDGE w/ attitude monitor...

Carlos J.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On the other hand the mods that you have already on order (not the Programmer) will tend to lower EGT's. So, if you,re running in the green stock, you will be fine with the mods you have stated. Anything that will increase fuel volume or pressure (programmer) and you should deffinatly have more guages to monitor how you're running.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Com'on, we're in the 21st century, get the edge monitor :pimp:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I can tell you that a stock tuned engine will maintain 1450* pre turbo EGT's towing a moderate (8K lbs) load up a moderate hill (5% or so for about 2 miles) on a warm day (90-100*) if you hold it WOT in 5th gear. I hit 70 MPH when I have to let off for safety reasons, but it won't go any hotter. If I had a steeper hill or more weight and could hold it WOT without increasing speed which increases RPM's which increases air flow, I MIGHT be able to get a little hotter, but I doubt it. Dodge and Cummins have not given me any "max temp". So, I just let it run at 1450 and hope that they did a little research before turning up the fuel to get 325HP and 610TQ! Are gauges necessary? YES! They should come factory in any truck that is used for towing heavy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.