DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading and researching on this site for a couple months now and thought I would finally add my first post. Reading everyone's input has already been very helpful (like cranking vs. keys, etc), but I am concerned that I will end up spending a fortune!!!

On to the question...

I've cranked my t-bars to get almost level (just 1/2 inch lower in front now) and am ready for some new shocks.
In the thread searches I've done, it seems that the Bilsteins and Rancho 9000's are the two most popular choices.

My question is this - what is the ride like in each?

I am not a serious off-roader, nor am I concerned about racing around corners. What I really want is a fairly smooth ride that doesn't rattle my molars on the freeway expansion joints. I realize it is a truck, and I'm not looking for the ride of a Cadillac, but I'm tired of having to time my sips of coffee with the jostling on the freeway.

I've had one person tell me that the Rancho's have a smoother ride...is this accurate?

Anyway...thanks for your input. By the way, here is my new "money pit" :D

Attachments

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
The Rancho 9000s are adjustable (that's what's on my truck), so you can make them ride they way you want it. Personally, I soften the ride for highway trips and then I can in just a few seconds change it firmer for around town or even firmer than that for off roading. If you've cranked with the factory shocks, you've no doubt felt the pounding you get going over simple bumps since your OEM shocks are stretched to their limit.

BTW, nice ride :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Bilsteins are great but I also have the 9000's. The adjustability in them is great.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The adjustability of the Rancho's probably make sense for my application. I just know I've read a lot of posts about how much people love their Bilsteins.
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for each? The rear is stock height...front has been lifted 2 1/2 inches with 7 turns of the torsion bolts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I see in your sig that you are going to add a lift kit. If I were you I would not waste the money on new shocks that you are going to have to replace when you add more lift.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
I agree with mstew. If you are going to lift it later, I wouldn't put on new shocks unless you just have money to throw away. However, I used the Ranchos for their 4" lift for the front (RS99283s) and while they are a bit long, I haven't bottomed them out yet and have done some significant off roading but nothing at high speed. Certainly no chance that I will top these out. For the rears I used the ranchos that are stock length for our 3G Rams (RS99269).

You can look up the different shocks from Rancho here:
http://www.gorancho.com/products/appguides/2003/03_shocks.pdf

The specs for each (compressed and extended length) are here:
http://www.gorancho.com/products/appguides/2003/03_catalog_specs_1.pdf

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will eventually add a lift kit, but it probably won't be for a year or so (as the tires get worn, I'll do a lift and tires/wheels together - at least that is my plan).
The stock shocks are too short for the front end now anyway, and I don't want to wait much longer for the ride to improve. Summit Racing has "buy 3 get one free" and they want $89 per shock. Is that a good price? Do I need to keep shopping?
If I was planning the lift for a few months from now, I would just wait on the shocks...but who knows when and if I will actually do the lift.

Does anyone with Bilsteins want to give any input? I know they are gas-charged and I just wonder how they ride.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
I got that deal from Summit too. Actually, Rancho is running the deal and everyone should offer it. I think it just runs through April, and if that is right that would make today the last day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I went through Summit as well, hurry up and take advantage.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To update:

I ended up buying the Rancho 9000's from a place I found on an old thread: samsoffroad.com.

I paid $219.95 for 4 shocks AND free shipping!!! That's only $55 per shock for the 9 way adjustable Ranchos. I thought the price was too good to be true, but just got off the phone with them and they are shipping them tomorrow. I should have them within 5 days.

I'll let you know how they ride once they are on.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
That IS a good price. Hope all goes well. You'll definitely like the adjustability. I've heard mixed reviews on the in cab controller, but it has started crossing my mind here lately. When you put the fronts on, pull the boots well down the shock tube as they are a bit long (if you went with the 99283s) and the top of the boot will want to pop off it's seat if you don't.

One thing I can say for Summit is that they refunded every penny plus shipping (for the return) when I placed my first order and turned out I gave them the wrong numbers, oops. They sent me out a new set right away with the right numbers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
To update:

I ended up buying the Rancho 9000's from a place I found on an old thread: samsoffroad.com.

I paid $219.95 for 4 shocks AND free shipping!!! That's only $55 per shock for the 9 way adjustable Ranchos. I thought the price was too good to be true, but just got off the phone with them and they are shipping them tomorrow. I should have them within 5 days.

I'll let you know how they ride once they are on.
I must have missed the deal? They were around $290 with shipping. Oh well, I'll just wait for the next deal or go with the bilstein's. Make sure to report on a new thread once you have them on, about how you like them.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW...You are right! It now says $298.60! It must have had to do with the deal that Rancho was running (4th shock free through 4/30). When I called Sam's this morning, they asked me when I ordered them and I told them "over the weekend" - it was Sunday morning (May 1!).
They gave me the deal, because they just charged my card $219.95. Man, I feel pretty lucky. I know everyone who got the Bilstein group buy was stoked to get them at $240 delivered.
I'll post a new thread once they come in and I put them on.

·
drsoffroad
249 Posts
BFP, I would still consider the Ranchos because they are adjustable. Maybe a few bucks more (mine were around $260 WITH the buy 3 get the fourth free) but I'd say after having the adjustability for a month or so, they are worth having over non-adjustables. I can change the ride whenever I want and I have done that several times. I'm sure part of it is just the "newness" of being able to, but it sure is nice. I'm sure the Bilsteins are a quality product, but I'd still give $50 for adjustable shocks over non-adjustables.

·
ABRam
102 Posts
rs5000

Does anybody run the Rancho RS5000's? The 9000's are a little bit expensive here(Canada). They are $130 CDN compared to $80 Cdn for the RS5000. I am not too concerned about them not being adjustable, just want to know what you guys thought about them, because these are probably what I'm am going to get. Anyways thanks for any information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.