DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I just Joined the forums today(june 18. 2005) and wanted to say a BIG HELLO to all Members, and hopefully you can help me in future with any specific problems/questions and I will do my best to help any of you all,if I can, but this is my first Dodge Intrepid, so you probabbly know more than me, and I am just learning. My theory on joining a forum is that it is a great place to get help on a new product, whether it be a new car or a new ploice scanner or a new toaster... that you have purchased, from others that have solved similiar issues with their's, that I may end up going through or need to firgure out.
so I got a new 1999 dodge intrepid with the "INFAMOUS" 2.7L engine this past week, and if your wondering why I got this, it is because I got the car before I joined the forum and then discovered that I may be gambling on the 2.7L engine,hoping it does not blow up. I have examined my oil, even though it was just changed by dealer...it looks good, and car is currently running good with 103,000 miles, not sure if there is any sludge build up, but I called prior owner of vehicle that left an old registration in glove box with name on it and he said he always changed the oil when he had the car, as he was the only other owner till now.
I did notice that the oil light has flickered a few times and was hoping to get help on changing the sending unit and wiring harness as talked about from the tech bulletin, sending unit seems easy to replace, but has anyone done the wiring harness themselfs and can clue me in on where to get directions or how to do it myself? or if it is even worth attempting this myself?
one other question I have is: I wanted to drain the antifreeze from radiator, I have found the drain plug on bottom of radiator and turned it a 1/4 turn, which is all it will turn, but nothing drains out...how to I make radiator drain plug drain???
and is there anything special I should do when flushing the radiator? I did read that it is important to get all the air out of the system/radiator after refilling with new antifreeze using the bleeder screw at top/ near thermostat.

well nice to meet all you folks and Iam sure I will be posting more questions soon..Thank you, REDSOXWONIT from Massachusetts :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Welcome to Dodgetalk. Where abouts in MA are you? I wrote some feedback to some of your other posts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Springfield, MA

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome sox- you'll find a plethora of info about the 2.7L online, just Google for it.

I would still reco that you cutover to synth oil immediately as a hedge. And do what you can to acquire as much prior service documentation and maintenance records you can to cover your butt if something should happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also recomend synthetic and an agressive change schedule. Also a product called Rislone will help disolve any deposits in the engine currently. I would use it every third oil change. As to the cooling system, it does use a special coolant. It is some kind of orange stuff. I have found that the dealer can flush and fill it for a fairly reasonable price. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 99 new and its now at the dealership getting a new bottom end and the heads reworked, thank god for sevice contracts. its only got 57,000 on it. I changed the oil every 3500 to 3800 miles, now after a lot of reasearch the regiment will be little aggresive with synthetic only...I dont care who you are and what you know, there is no reason I should be replacing the engine at 57k. There is obviously flaws in the design. good luck with the car and keep the oil clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.