Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, newbie here
I just bought my 2002 Dodge Ram Van (extended cabin) 3500 - 5.9 liter with 40k miles.
I got few questions/concerns and will start with the most pressing.

Braking - it pulls to the left when braking hard, I looked at both sides and noticed the Right disk would turn very hard when on jack-stands. Left side turns fine. Also notices right side disk is likely warped.
So I'm suspecting Right frozen caliper... but On the highway if I pump the brakes I get way better breaking. then when I come to a stop and let off the brakes the van will not roll. So I tap the gas and the vehicle rolls and I feel the breaks "un-freeze" and let the vehicle go. There's still some drag being felt though as I drive. Feels like no drag in the morning - but gets worse as i drive. But if the caliper was frozen I should get all or no breaking right?
Strange... any suggesting?

MPG - I'm doing less then 10mpg combined (I suspect the braking drag is not helping) - I noticed some good articles here with other suggestions on improving mpg so I'll try some of those.

BTW I want to change the air filter - is it true that I have to get to it via the center console?!

Lastly, I'll be doing the oil change, change the belt, and other minor adjustments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it kind of makes sense what you're saying - and I did read on the web that the lines corrode from the inside - I thought they meant the metal ones.
It makes sense to me to be the line because I do have breaking - and when I pump the breaks I get good breaking - just that they won't release easily, and even when they let go there's still a drag.
So makes sense to be the lines - assuming debris inside doesn't allow the brake fluid to flow back and forth easily, hence the stubbornness of the caliper.

What about the air filter - I have to go through the dog house to get to it?
I mean I can see it from the front, but an electrical box and other cables/lines are in the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) thanks for such good info - now all I have to do is wait on the weather to get above the teens and single digits - too cold to do any work on it.

I did notice the rotor on the side that drags the most was warped so I will replace that. But if the caliper is not bad then I'll hold off on it, I'll change the lines to it only.
Bleeding the breaks' gonna be fun...

Just wondering, did you hear anyone doing anything about the turning radius on these vans. Can it be improved? Or too much hassle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha I never though I'd be so happy seeing temps in the 20's - and yes, I will not complain compared to Boston. that must suck so bad.
Ohh and the funny thing.... I bought this van in Boston :D 4 months ago

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you txwooley - I got a new rotor for the right side, and I will take your advice to turn the left rotor then cuz I am putting in new pads so..

Question - what type of oil do you recomend for this van? With the summer season ahead of us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.