DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new here. Looked around a little but couldn't find an answer to my question, so here it is.

Yesterday I upgraded (slightly) from a basic 04 Ram Regular Cab 2wd, to the same thing in an 06 Quad Cab. It's a basic truck, and came with the 17" steel wheels and really sad little tires. I want to get some black steel rims (the truck is dark grey) and put some slightly more masculine looking tires on it. So basically, does anyone know what size rims and tires I can put on my stock 2wd Ram without any problems?

I don't want to put mudders on a 2wd, but something like a Dunlop Radial Rover or something. And I would like to maybe get wheels/tires that are slightly wider than the ones that came on it, but I don't want them to rub.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
First of all Bubba, Welcome to Dodgetalk man!

I know for a fact that the Stock 20" wheel / tire combo is slightly over 33" overall and you still have MAJOR room to go. I think I have even seen where you can go as much as 35" overall on a stock suspension without many worries. However, never fear as Im sure the Tire / Wheel Gurus of DodgeTalk will be in here shortly to answer your question a little more precisely!

Glad to have you on board. Post some pictures of your ride!

Dane

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
welcome and for sure post pics you can host them at www.photobucket.com for free and the yrezize them automatic for you when you upload

as far as tires on a 2 wheel drive i know as dane has said that the stockers are like 33 inch but im not so sure you cab go with a 35 with out a leveling kit of some sort

i know my 3500 4x4 mega cab would not take a 35 with out rubbing but there are some lifted 2 wheel drive trrucks on here so i a msure you will get the info you are looking for

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. And nice rides.

I'm not necessarilly trying to get the biggest possible thing on there, but I just want to know what will look right and work w/o rubbing. I'm not trying to make it look like a 4x4 since it's not. I'll get one of those when I can afford one. It's just that these oversized Geo looking tires are killing me. :)

My brother who runs 33's on a Wrangler told me to check on back spacing too, so if anyone can explain the relationship from back spacing on rims to how far they stick out, that would be cool too.

233 Posts
bubbafong said:
Hey guys. I'm new here. Looked around a little but couldn't find an answer to my question, so here it is.

Yesterday I upgraded (slightly) from a basic 04 Ram Regular Cab 2wd, to the same thing in an 06 Quad Cab. It's a basic truck, and came with the 17" steel wheels and really sad little tires. I want to get some black steel rims (the truck is dark grey) and put some slightly more masculine looking tires on it. So basically, does anyone know what size rims and tires I can put on my stock 2wd Ram without any problems?

I don't want to put mudders on a 2wd, but something like a Dunlop Radial Rover or something. And I would like to maybe get wheels/tires that are slightly wider than the ones that came on it, but I don't want them to rub.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the Dunlop Radial Rovers. They are terrible! I had them, they are the worst tires I have ever had on any vehicle. Well, except for Big O, that is. They suffered from what is called road force variation. In other words, hard spots in the tread rubber caused some major vibration.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
I like 20's and 305/50R20 tires. Give it a real mean look and wider stance. I did the entire setup for about $1,000. Tires are the best out there for sport trucks and only $120/each.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, sgrizzle: Nice looking wheels & tires. I agree that the Yokohamas are the best deal out there. I'm looking at the same setup to replace my 17's. Do the Yoko 305-50-20's ride harder over bumps with the "50" low profile? Also where did you get your rims?

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
I run the Geolandars too, in 22". I really like them. You'll have no problem with a 305 wide tire rubbing. The Geloandars are great and I haven't gotten them to slip 'n slide even in wet conditions.

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
05ramhemi said:
Hey, sgrizzle: Nice looking wheels & tires. I agree that the Yokohamas are the best deal out there. I'm looking at the same setup to replace my 17's. Do the Yoko 305-50-20's ride harder over bumps with the "50" low profile? Also where did you get your rims?
No, and they aren't low profile either. They are actually about an inch thicker than the 275/55r20's I used to have.

Those are Yokahma Geolandar G052. The G052 are unidirectional tread, and like mentioned before, you can't get them loose in wet weather. The G052's come with a bit thicker tread so you get more life out of them too (14/32nds instead of 12/32nds) The G051's are decent as well and more commercially available. I got mine from tirerack.com.

The wheels I got from a guy with a wrecked ram who was local.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
bubbafong said:
Thanks guys. And nice rides.

I'm not necessarilly trying to get the biggest possible thing on there, but I just want to know what will look right and work w/o rubbing. I'm not trying to make it look like a 4x4 since it's not. I'll get one of those when I can afford one. It's just that these oversized Geo looking tires are killing me. :)

My brother who runs 33's on a Wrangler told me to check on back spacing too, so if anyone can explain the relationship from back spacing on rims to how far they stick out, that would be cool too.

im not a wizz at the tire backspacing thing but i will tell you what i found out on my truck

when it was new and stock i put bigger tires on the stock wheels and they hit the control arms at full lock

then i put a inch lift and then the tires did not hit the control arms but they hit the inner fender

so then i put on new wheels with a 4.5 backspacing( is like a wheel spacer) which gets the tires farther out from the the inside of the fenders

also tire and wheel wise i say get one size bigger tires to start with and if see how that goes ( might save you on buying wheels)

and when those tires wear out and you dont like the look get a set of 20s ( bigger wheels give a whole different look)and once size bigger tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cool, thanks.

So you think an 8-inch wide 17 or 20" wheel with a 4.5" backspace would work on a stock 2wd Quad? And can someone verify if I'm correct in thinking I need an 8-lug, 6.5" lug pattern?

As far as keeping the wheels I have, I got the uber cheap steal work truck type wheels on my truck, so I don't think I want to do that. They make it look cheap. Granted, it was pretty cheap, hence me being able to afford it, but still.. gotta try to make it look cool at least. :)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
bubbafong said:
Cool, thanks.

So you think an 8-inch wide 17 or 20" wheel with a 4.5" backspace would work on a stock 2wd Quad? And can someone verify if I'm correct in thinking I need an 8-lug, 6.5" lug pattern?

As far as keeping the wheels I have, I got the uber cheap steal work truck type wheels on my truck, so I don't think I want to do that. They make it look cheap. Granted, it was pretty cheap, hence me being able to afford it, but still.. gotta try to make it look cool at least. :)

again no whiz here on this subject and not really sure on what you would need for backspacing if any but i am pretty sure that you dont have 8 lug on a 1500 2 wheel drive

also i would say that a 8 inch wheel would work fine but i would go no less than a 20 an for sure no bigger than a 22

look in the classifieds here and dtw and check out ebay and the craigs list

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right. I just went and looked... it's a 5 lug, 17x7 wheel. I still can't find the lug pattern written anywhere.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
5x5.5 or 5x139.7mm, same difference.

KB

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
1_ton_mega_cab said:
again no whiz here on this subject and not really sure on what you would need for backspacing if any but i am pretty sure that you dont have 8 lug on a 1500 2 wheel drive

also i would say that a 8 inch wheel would work fine but i would go no less than a 20 an for sure no bigger than a 22

look in the classifieds here and dtw and check out ebay and the craigs list

You can safely roll 24's with the correct offset. slip on over to the "Sport Truck Talk" section and I KNOW someone over there can spout off every possible wheel size / space / Offset / Tire combo possible...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.