DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I have a 2005 Quad 4x4 Laramie 6sp. I need more go fast in it!!!!! I'm going to get a programmer for it but the more I do some research the more confusing it is. I have narrowed it down between a Hot Juice and Bully Dog "Crazy Larry". I looked into the TST but couldn't find any info on how it works just that its mean, that scares me on a 40k truck. The numbers on these are awsome if true?? Any body with these?

Decrease turbo lag? How? I had a 99 that pulled hard from idle but the 2005 has to be up in the 1300 range to go into orbit. Any remedies?

Also I have read that the stock exhaust on the 2005 is 4" . If that is the case why do I need any mods on the exhale?

I will also be getting an inlet more than likely AFE but the AEM Brute Force look nice too. I like the shine.

Lastly, I don't want to break my truck just take it to the limit. I'll get a clutch when I need to as long as thats it for driveline. Whats the max I can do now under 2k$. Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you plan on putting on either of those boxes you best be callin Southbend for a clutch now. I had to replace mine and am only making 300HP at the rears. I don't forsee good things for the stock clutch unless you pussy foot it around all the time. I had issues only under hard acceleration when boost spiked up. The "Crazy Larry" box is supposed to be good for what? 240HP? That is crazy on stock parts. Best be getting a boost, pyro, and fuel gauges too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Actually, you will be ok on the clutch for a while if you just keep the brake stands to a minimum, As you may have figured out by now, your rear brakes are stronger than your clutch. If I were you,(and I have pretty much the same truck except an '04.5) I would change the muffler if you just want the sound.(with a dynomax or magnaflow, your truck will be loud when you step on the go-fast pedal, but not too loud. If you go with straight pipe, then it will be obnoxious all the time and ear-bleeding loud when you are pulling a load). The straight-through mufflers will help your EGT's. But you should probably consider the Edge Juice box @100HP max, with the LCD screen or install some other type of EGT and boost gauges), that will run you almost $1000 but check around, and don't be afraid to consider internet companies too, sometimes you can save a lot of money by ordering it online. The edge juice will take care of the power but it is all compatable if you later decide to install twin turbo's, and injectors. As for the intake, a lot of guys like the BHAF(Big Honkin' Air Filter) intakes, you can get a pre-made BHAF from http://desertracingconcepts.net/welcome.htm Or you can get parts like rubber elbows and aluminum tubing as well as the filter from www.airflowonline.com, you will save money by building it yourself(I got all my parts for <$100, and had to do some cutting on the tubes to get it to fit but it looks good and sounds better. I had an AFE intake and took it off for this. If you go with AFE then get the Proguard 7. and either the stage 1 with torque tube or the stage 2 kit. Like I said earlier I made my own torque tube and air filter for less than $100, if you buy the AFE torque tube it will run you at least $89 and the stage 1 intake another $300 or so. The best prices I have seen so far for my choice of components is: BHAF + homemade torque tube $100, Dynomax muffler and homemade sidepipe +/- $250, Predator 100HP chip $499, but I know of a place that sells the Edge Juice for $489 without the monitor, I think I paid about $200 for my two gauges and the gauge pod, So without adding in the money I spent on the AFE that is no longer on my truck, I have spent......$1049.00 And my truck drives great, and gets better mileage than stock. Also you will notice your mileage is around 10-12MPG now, believe me it will start to get a lot better as your engine starts to break in somewhere around 14,000 miles, so don't get frustrated. There are also companies that sell dual exhaust where you have the two shiny tips sticking out under your rear bumper, they are really cool but also more expensive than a regular system. And I don't know what state you live in, but if there is even a slight rumor about the state doing emission testing(smog/ smoke testing) on diesels, then you would be wise to leave your Catalytic converter on your truck or remove it and keep it in a safe place, because I have heard that a new one costs around $900-1000. So don't punch it out, it could cost you!

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Welcome aboard... The best place to start is the gages. I found a pillar mount and the paint to match my interior, alot of folks think they are stock because of the clean install. I have the Banks exhaust... $$$$ but I think it was worth it as the sound is throaty but not "Big Rig" open. I also installed the Banks Brake, went 53k miles on factory brake pads (dont bother with NAPA pads, even their lifetime pads squeel so loud that I cant wait to throw them away) and I always have something in, on, or behind my truck. I run a Van Aaken box (60hp) and it's fun but when I can spare the truck for a while I'm sending my ECU to Mad Marco for a reflash, heard great things at the TDR about this mod. My best advice, research alot, spend wisely, have fun... Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
go over to -diesel truck resource.com-sign up,its free,,,,,,they are selling edge boxes there now with a howards cool down timer thrown in for free.lots of good people over there thatll be glad to answer questions for you.....jst remember,,your diesel isnt like a gasser,putting a chip in and running it wide open everywhere,,,,diesels will make some serious power,but dont take mods lightly,,you can do alot of damage in a hurry with mods.....guages are a must with them.....on the how,,tst and the edge juice change timing and duration.the ez edge ups railpressure.the bullydog downloader,ts ramifier does all 3....as a side note,,don m of f-1 injectors has some pics of injector damage he is attributing to running high rail pressures all the time,so the line of thinking right now is to stay away from high rail pressures for everyday driving.those pics can be found on-northwest bombers.com-its afree site too.........bama

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dieselracer,
Thanks for the info, that sounds like a pretty level headed route to go. Do you have a parts list on the home grown BHAF as far as angles for the elbows and length of the tubing? I'm guessing you used 4in on it. Also what is the length of the muffler for direct replacement? The exhaust is 4in, right? I'm in Germany right now going to a training class or I'd do some measuring for myself. I what to have some goodies to play with when I get back.

I'm getting about 17 to 18 worse of 14 mostly highway, hand calculated the overhead was only off by .2. My 99 2wd got 19 so I can't complain about the mileage.

All,
It seems to me that with the Edge only changing one variable in fuel and the Dog taking into account pulse timing that there the dog is the better choice. I really like the Monitor of the edge though. Don't like the smoke that I have heard of on the Dog from some posts. Smoke makes me think something isn't as efficient as it could be.
Has anyone change the clutch at home? I would think it was straight forward like any manual but are there any special tools required? You know the manufacturers these days.

Thanks for the info all

·
Registered
129 Posts
just be careful when pulling the tranny,,if its a nv and not a g56..itll weigh over 400 lbs,,,dangerous work if you let it get on you.........the edge juice does timing as well as duration,,,,the only thing the dog does extra is pressure,,which alot of people are shying away from,,,,,,,the duramax guys have already hashed this out and most of them are staying away from much pressure increases as well........bama

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.