DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the boards. I bought a 2004 hemi rumble bee reg. cab last weekend. Last night I got waxed by a ford lightning. I got him off the line and most of the way through the intersection but after that thing started whinning and blew past me. What can I do to beat one of these trucks without breaking the bank? I'm 20 and I'm out of school and have a great job but I'm making payments and have a girlfriend (so you know I have no money LOL)! What do most of you hemi guys do when you come across a lightning?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
A Lightning probably wasn't the best choice for your first, lol. And you're not going to beat one without breaking the bank. Most Lightnings are blown, and since you mentioned it's whine, that one was one of them.

Are you ready for a supercharger? :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you tried posting that at http://www.rumblebee.org ? If not you tell 'em I sent ya.. :)
Usually unless your nicely modded, we just lower our heads, nod, and toss up a friendly wave..

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
NITROUS!!!! Cheapest way to get another 125HP.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
First of All, Welcome to DodgeTalk and Congrats on a Nice RAM.

Yea, If you do it right, you can Juice your Bee +125hp with a Good Wetjet Fogger system for around $800.

$500 for the Bare essentials, but add another couple for Heat Blanket, Gauges, Electric bottle opener and possibly the computerized feathering system.

As you browse around DT you will see how many of us have started and derive a plan of action. Go ahead and just realize your not gonna take a Lightning for a while. Do the Intake and exhaust, pulley, Electric fan, T-stat, Gears... Then start looking into forced induction (i.e. N2O).

Good LUCK!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks for all the replys guys/girls (just in case, so I don't offend the ladies LOL) I did some research this morning on a couple of lightning websites,message boards and found that what happened was not suprising. :(( I was thinking of nitrous, especially after what happened the other night. So I guess I'll go nitrous shopping.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about that everyone I logged in on my brothers computer and replied under his name.

·
MrDestinE
664 Posts
black hemi bee said:
What do most of you hemi guys do when you come across a lightning?
Yup.... crack the bottle and crack that AZZ!! But I can beat some stock ones..... I have seen some Lightnings at HRP running 14.30s to my 14.0s on the same nite...... but those you beat today... $200 the next day and it is much harder....
:thatfunny

TJ

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Yep Lightnings are pretty badazz...a couple simple mods on their supercharged motor and drag radials and they're whoppin' Vettes...all kinds of them running 10's or 11's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I'll never learn! LOL Last night I was coming home from work and I ran into another lightning. Well I knew better than to mess with it but it was pulling a trailer with a quad on it and it was to good to pass up. Well The light changed and we took of and before we even crossed the intersection I heard that whining noise again and this truck blows past me, trailer and all! Well I'm going to be internet shopping a nitrous kit this weekend in hope that I will have some chance in the future???

·
Registered
268 Posts
black hemi bee said:
Well I guess I'll never learn! LOL Last night I was coming home from work and I ran into another lightning. Well I knew better than to mess with it but it was pulling a trailer with a quad on it and it was to good to pass up. Well The light changed and we took of and before we even crossed the intersection I heard that whining noise again and this truck blows past me, trailer and all! Well I'm going to be internet shopping a nitrous kit this weekend in hope that I will have some chance in the future???
Loss to a lightning pulling a trailer with a quad on it?? Oh....ok

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..kids..kids...sometimes they'll never learn....lol.....juice up!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
john_6267 said:
Loss to a lightning pulling a trailer with a quad on it?? Oh....ok
Well what what do expect even a stock lightning runs in the 13's. And I'm sure a stock hemi reg cab 2wd is what mid to high 15's? Clearly no threat to a lightning. So you figure that if he's pulling a trailer w/a quad weighing roughly 800lbs give or take (it was like a little garden type trailer). That puts the guy somewhere in the mid 14 sec range? So it's still no contest. But like I said it was to good to pass up and I'm young/new to these trucks and still learning so what the hell! I'll get a nitrous kit and hopefully change the outcome at least once in awhile????

·
Registered
268 Posts
black hemi bee said:
Well what what do expect even a stock lightning runs in the 13's. And I'm sure a stock hemi reg cab 2wd is what mid to high 15's? Clearly no threat to a lightning. So you figure that if he's pulling a trailer w/a quad weighing roughly 800lbs give or take (it was like a little garden type trailer). That puts the guy somewhere in the mid 14 sec range? So it's still no contest. But like I said it was to good to pass up and I'm young/new to these trucks and still learning so what the hell! I'll get a nitrous kit and hopefully change the outcome at least once in awhile????
What do I expect? Well I would expect you not to lose before you get across the intersection. Dragging an 800 lb trailer is not like adding 800lbs to your truck....so dont give me L=13.7 stock add 800lbs = 14.5's..BS.

·
Registered
268 Posts
After re-reading your post, thinking you were a troll, rcsb 2wd running mid to high 15's, you must be at a high elevation..AZ... That doesnt effect trucks with boost as much as n/a....so.............you still should have got him across the damn intersection!

·
Registered
841 Posts
i dont understand how a lightning with 390hp is almost 2 seconds faster than a 2wd reg cab hemi ram with 345hp....... you would think a chip and exhaust on the hemi should get u close to a stock lightning. but it doesnt. i think the lightnings are 4-speeds versus our 5-speed autos also

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
john_6267 said:
What do I expect? Well I would expect you not to lose before you get across the intersection. Dragging an 800 lb trailer is not like adding 800lbs to your truck....so dont give me L=13.7 stock add 800lbs = 14.5's..BS.
Funny I don't recall saying 13.7?? Where did you get that number from? For that matter I don't recall saying 14.5. I believe I said and I quote: "13's" and "mid 14's"! Have you ever heard of "modified" lightnings? Check out a few of the sites about them, I have. Some of the modified trucks can make over 500 rwhp and over 600lbs of torque at the rear wheels. So you tell me how much of a drag a small trailer w/ a quad on it would make to that kind of power in a lighter truck (ford list curb weight at 4700 lbs)! Now before you you jump on this post "john" I never said the truck w/ the trailer was or was not modified. I merely explained what happened when I raced it. Also take into account these facts.
1. I have had my truck for less than 2 weeks. I may not be driving it to it's potential.
2. The lightning owner could race his truck every day for all I know and be much better at racing it, wether it has a trailer with a quad or not!
3. I was just relaying a story of what happened to me, like I have seen so many others do on this site (without getting their shit jumped for it either I might add) since I joined it. I never claimed to be a engineer on the weights of quads and trailers and how they might a effect a lightning in a street race with a truck with less power and inexperienced driver. I just stated what a stock lightning runs and what it might run towing a trailer as a guess from what I have learned about them recently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
john_6267 said:
After re-reading your post, thinking you were a troll, rcsb 2wd running mid to high 15's, you must be at a high elevation..AZ... That doesnt effect trucks with boost as much as n/a....so.............you still should have got him across the damn intersection!
Who in the hell made you the F***ing performance police "john"?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.