DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks -- looking at my first Ram -- 1500, 4x4, 5.2, ext cab, auto, short box (nice lines to it, not slabside), new trans and many new parts, engine is original. It has approx 160k miles for $6500 (Canadian funds). No rust, needs new tires.

Sound like an ok deal? It is a bit far from me so wanting some general opinions before I drive out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds good to me. I would get some things checked out first. Like take off the air box and open the throttle body and look into it for any dirt or sludge. If it is really bad you might have a bad plenum gasket, which we all know leads to bigger problems down the road. Look under the truck as well, all the steering components, bushing, ball joints, bearings, etc. Take it on a good test drive, dont be afraid to drive it like you will be driving it, you gotta know if anything is wrong with it. Other than that, if everything checks out good, I'd say get it and join the family of happy dodge owners! :rck:

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
Not much difference in mileage, I get about 12 with a 5.9 4x4 quad cab and my brother gets about 13 with a 5.2 reg cab 4x4. As for reliability, mines got 149,000 and runs great, knock on wood.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with that high of mileage. My cutoff is usually 75,000. I want to be able to put 100,000 on a vehicle, and when your starting out with 160,000, odds of that happening are greatly deminished. Not that there aren't people with over 200,000 on their Rams, but that is probably by far the minority.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Another issue is the trannys. As you posted that it has a new tranny, I wouldn't worry too much about that one. Like Loud_Dodge said, check all of those components out. The 5.2 is a very reliable engine, and you will see many people on this forum with 200k+ miles and still loving the strong truck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the plenum can cause big problems down the road i think i replaced mine at 175,000 miles.....2,160 miles later then engine went on me

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ahhhh--"many new parts" always scares the hell out of me. What were they trying to fix and found out it would cost too much and decided to dump the vehicle??!?! If there is documentation from a repair shop lately that show probs fixed, OK. No documentation--look out. Just a suspicious old mans freaky button. HTH

·
Registered
59 Posts
personally, i would take it for a ride. drive it as it were yours. the "many new parts" thing sound a bit iffy, i suggest you take it to a mechanic and have him look it over entirely. have a good mechanic that you can trust do it, cuz you know how people are these days... lookin to make a fast buck, yeah? if the mechanic says its all good, then its up to you.

my personal favorite bash on Fords, when it comes to Dodge vs. Ford, is : F***ed Over Remade Dodge.. (wow, that was random Oo;)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Milage is a useless factor to me pretty well it's ALL the condition. Theres some trucks I looked at with 50,000 miles on them and wouldn't touch them because they were in such bad shape and then my 01 1500 5.2 with 145,000 miles that gave me nearly no trouble and I didn't even look over it before I bough it whatsoever (was at a auction). The only problem I had was the anti spin was messed but just removed all the parts and was good. My 01 1500 5.9 with only 95,000 miles needed more repairs YET it was 100% flawless in the body, it didn't need much but still about $700 of repairs (front brakes with rotars and driveshaft needed a todal rebuild), things add up quickly. If your buying private you should be able to avoid this though as I bough from auction, I would make sure the rear end is good, a good indication is a howling or any rear end noise, also check everything even brakes they can add up.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Like said above, take it to a reputable shop and have them go over it. I don't mean a 'safety inspection' either. Pull the diff cover(s), tranny pan (to check filter & magnet) check ball joints, steering box, rotors, door hinges, observe tail pipe on start up to get an idea of the condition of the valve stem seals (preferable after it's been sitting for atleast 3-4 hours).
Might cost $100 plus, but could save you a lot more down the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the truck. It was in decent shape -- needs a ball joint on the passenger side, but otherwise very decent for the mileage. Got it for $5k, so I think that's a deal. The 5.9 is not as quick off the line as I'd thought, so I think the gearing is low (he wasn't sure what was in there).

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. I'd bet it has 3:55 gears.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The 5.9 is not as quick off the line as I'd thought, so I think the gearing is low (he wasn't sure what was in there).
I thought it has a 5.2 in it?
Post #1
Hi folks -- looking at my first Ram -- 1500, 4x4, 5.2, ext cab, auto, short box (nice lines to it, not slabside), new trans and many new parts, engine is original. It has approx 160k miles for $6500 (Canadian funds). No rust, needs new tires.

Sound like an ok deal? It is a bit far from me so wanting some general opinions before I drive out there.

Thanks!
whatever it has in it, with 160,000 miles it's not going to go like it did when new.
And yes, with high gearing like 3.55 it's going to be a little slow off the line.
Get some 4.11s, good for highway and moves it easier from a stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.