DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will add all the details later I just wanted to get a pic of the hood up per Rice's request.

It's a 95 Engine in a 97 Chassis w/ a 98 R/T PCM.

It is also now a 5 speed (3.94). The chassis was a SOHC Auto no tilt/ no options but all that has been swapped. From the K-member to the 4 wheel discs. Took me about 4 months to get the car where it is at now. Only thing it needs that I do not have on hand is a paint job. Body is straight and never been wrecked. And yes, the dope (n2o) is back on this car.

Again, more later, I just got home and have a bunch of stuff I need to get done. :D

· So whats UR excuse?
4,520 Posts
I like em too! Im more into the straight shot eyelids tho. They make it look like it's pissed. Nice Job TX!!!

What color are you going with? Are you going to do a trick job on it? I can come up with some wicked ideas if your looking for some. It's nice to see you around again.Peace out

· Registered
1,303 Posts
humm...I like the eyelid setup way better than those vineal ones, I've got a fiberglass hood, I wonder what I'd need to do to make the hood part of the eyelid setup....humm.

the gears are spinning in ye ole head.

· Neon bug bites again
1,265 Posts
that hood is sweet and so are the headlights.

is that front bumper custom made?

cause it looks tits :D

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to update my email address on these forums :IDEA:

I am going to leave the car shell + fenders/ bumpers white. I want to throw some sort of flake or something to the paint besides a lot of clear but all that will be after the new year. I am really leaning towards keeping the hood and trunk black and then paint the roof black as well.

Maybe call it Pepe LePew lol.

The front lip is a Mopar lip for a 2nd gen. It can be had from the dealer for right at 100 bucks in either primer or if you are lucky your car's color. Comes in a set front/ rear but the rear will not work due to the change in the licenseplate placement.

· So whats UR excuse?
4,520 Posts
Not to tell you how to do it TX but all that white paint will have to go if you want any paint to stick to that car. Something in the white paint that causes it to lift off.
Just like the spot on the roof. Even after you sand it all down smooth and think you got all the bad peeling paint off it will lift soon as the new color is laid down. (trust Me)
You must remove all the old white paint if you dont want to have double work in it. That includes the wasted paint you already sprayd that has to be sanded back off along with the rest of the old paint. Just some FYI from someone who has been there and done that.

This is the theme picture for Kings Island but something to this effect on the hood and the wings could be stretched out down the front fenders and the door. It's an Idea.http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/firehawk_1024x768_mc3_971.jpg

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well when the car gets painted all the white will be removed first. I am not going to have fresh paint put on top of what is there by any means.

As for the firehawk wings/ logo I would love to have something on the car that says firehawk but b/c the Trans Am has a Firehawk model I don't see myself ever adding anything like that simply b/c I don't want someone to see it and say "that's not a firehawk" even tho the driver is.

; )

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About a month ago the speedo quit working on me so I started by replacing the sending unit on the trans. No go. After swapping clusters, engine bay wire harness's, and PCM's I started to look at the tranny to be at fault. I was not aware of this until last weekend but there is a plastic ring gear with teeth cut on one side that rides on the diff on MTX's and that is what spins the sending unit (not sure what else to call it) to give you your speed. ATX's are a tad different.

Well they tend to slip over time and that is not good. 10 dollar part at the dealer no big deal but I had to drop the trans, split it, and remove the diff to swap the ring out lol.

Talk about a lot of work for speedo. Now before I get all the "omg you don't need one" talk No, I don't really but I am one of those types that sometimes likes to stick to the speed limits.

NV-350 5 speed: 3.94

Split in 2. Left side you have the diff and on the right you have the gears. They all stay put if you are careful.

I was shocked to find the inside so clean! The gears still look brand new. I could hardly see any wear on them so that really made me feel good.

Diff and the white gear that was just changed out. It just snaps on. Anyone can fix this in there driveway.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Please tell me you put diff saver tabs in after going through all the trouble of ripping the case apart, yes?

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I opted to save the 100 bucks on the tabs Rice. I know what you are going to say but if the diff ever takes a dive it's ok, the tranny was only $100 bucks. At some point an LSD and diff saver tabs will go in but I am not too worried right now. I do not by any means beat on the car or bang gears.

And it is really not that hard to get the diff out anyhow. Once the tranny is out of the car it takes a whole 5 min to get it split.

I am going out to the garage to put my new clutch fork in and bolt her back up. Birthday is tomorrow (30) and I want to be able to take it out to dinner after work. ; )

~Fire

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked the pins and came across Phantom Grip Diff Saver Pin for $99 @ Modern. I thought that was the only one out there. Now that you mention it I guess there is another mfg on the .org right? Either way I did not want to wait for them to get here even if they were only $20. Maybe I will order a set now so they will be on hand next time.

~Jason

· Registered
2,430 Posts
TX_Firehawk said:
I looked the pins and came across Phantom Grip Diff Saver Pin for $99 @ Modern. I thought that was the only one out there. Now that you mention it I guess there is another mfg on the .org right? Either way I did not want to wait for them to get here even if they were only $20. Maybe I will order a set now so they will be on hand next time.

~Jason
The Phantom pin is something else, I'm not even sure what. But the diff saver tabs people talk about are purchased from a dealership and last I knew ran $15 or so.

· Neon Master Mechanic
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! Don't I feel like a sucker. I had never looked into them in the past b/c I am a long way from getting an lsd/ messing with the diff. I try to be nice to it so they should be ok. However next time that trans is opened up for whatever reason I will put the pins in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.