DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need to get new wheel cylinders in my dakota because the drivers' side rear is leaking brake fluid slowly. Well of course the brake shoes are ruined now too, so I began calling around and asking for the parts. They were sight unseen! Napa, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc. No one had them! Auto Zone had some but I have there pads on the front and there horrible! So I called dodge and asked them. I was told that the only way to get them is to buy a $190 overhaul kit that retrofits the rear drums with newly designed parts. I asked why and he said it was because these trucks have a problem of vibrating! Well to give you a little background on my truck I bought it with 16k on it 2 years ago from the same dealership as a Chrysler Buy-Back because the previous owner had had alot of problems with the truck vibrating and they could never fi it. So I figured that since this is fixing something faulty through the factory, I should get it for free. Wrong! They also want 2 hours labor to do it too! So I'm struck at the moment.

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Now that is a bunch of crap :mad:

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll be calling Chrylser in the morning to complain and then I'll be on my way to get this fixed, don't really have a choice.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had that rear drum vibration problem, of course Dodge said "no problem found-no related bulletins" I ended up resurfacing the drums and shoes, cleaned everything up and the problem went away for the most part. Figures there's a whole upgrade kit out there and they didn't see it. :tdwn:

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I'll find out when the tsb came out, but final cost to me for the kit, wheel cylinders, and install is $500! Since I knew someone there he was able to work with me to get it down to $430. Btw if you live in the central florida area and need dealer service, go to Tom Edwards in Bartow, Florida. The service manager there is named Chris Lashley and he is the only person I trust to take my truck to if I can't fix it myself. Anyways if you still have your 36K warrenty make sure you take it in to have this done! Since it's not considered a safty issue there is no recall for it.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the TSB, apparently this is only on Dakota's with the 8.25 axle.

TSB #0500405 -- REAR BRAKE VIBRATION ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 8 1/4 REAR AXLES. *TT UPDATED. *NM (NHTSA ID #10016024, MAY 10 2006)

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also found this:

TSB #06006 -- SHAKES WHILE DRIVING ON SMOOTH ROADS AND/OR PULSATES WHILE BRAKING. *KB (NHTSA ID #10020759, NOVEMBER 16 2006)

Faulty tires, I knew those goodyars were crappy!

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay based on calling Chyrlser and the dealerdhip I found out that unless it was deemed to be a safty issuse, there is no recall issued and in this case there is not. The TSB is just a mem to make dealers aware of the problem. Even if I still had my bumper to bumper warrenty I would still have to pay the cost because it qualifies as a wear item. Also I was told that TSBs are not fixed unless the customer comes in with a complaint about the specific problem. The thing is that the Orginal owner had complained alot, so much that chrysler bought the truck back from her. So why they didn't do this upgrade between May 06 when the TSB was released and december 06 when I bought it is beyod me. I believe that since they didn't back when it was under warrenty that they should now even though it has expired. So I'm a little pissed right now but at least I understand why this is the way it is.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay here is some more info:

The old system is a single spring setup: PN#5159106AA

The new system is a dual spring setup: PN#5191790AC $184

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuperDart, I know that one time you too were considering a conversion to rear disks from a durango or ram. I was talking to the parts guy and he loked up the master cylinder parts numbers and they are different, and that they operate at different pressures. So to make the swap you would have to by everything.

Also the rear drums area 298, no matter what axle, the part numbers I gave are the same. So appently even you guys with the bigger axles have to buy this same part if you need shoes.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More interesting information. I attempted to call around and find the shoes at other parts retailers. Auto Zone was the only place that had them, but they show two different size rear brakes; 9 inch and 11 inch, with 05 apparently being the last year for the 9inch? But they show three different part numbers for three different years. I started with 2004 and worked my way up. Here is all of what I could find.

Dodge Dakota Rear Drums DuraLast (which is made by Raybestos for Auto Zone) Part Numbers

Brake Shoes - (9inch?)
2004: #734 (5 spring?)
2005: #538 (1 spring?)
2006: #922 (2 spring?)
2007: #922 (2 spring?)

Wheel Cylinders - (9inch?)
2004: #33725 & #33726 (Left and Right)
2005: #30298 (Universal)
2006: #30298 (Universal)
2007: #30298 (Universal)

Springs - (11inch?)
2005: #N/A
2006: #H7942

Btw Paul who I guess is a floor manager at the Auto Zone in Winter Haven, Florida was a great help to me trying to find out all this stuff. I even told him how I had been unhappy with the DuraLast Gold Pads I had on the front. He said well just take them of and pay the difference, about $20, to upgrade to the new Cmax (?) pads they offer and he would gladly exchange them. He was the first person of about 8 I have talked to today that was kind and helpful. I would pay to have service like that more often. In fact when I go in to exchange those front pads, I just might give him a nice tip.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up the truck from the dealer. It rides smoother and brakes better and without any vibration. Still mad that I had to pay over $400 dollars for this though. I'm gonna make some more calls later to try and get remibursed.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
call the dealer and check anyway

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to a unnamed source, here is the full TSB.

Apparently new axle shafts should be included in this fix, and they would be covered under the powertrain warrenty for a $100 deductible.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well done on the research, Charlie. I don't know what is on my 06 SLT 4X4,
but sounds like the brake work that got done in DEC 08.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm actually in talks now with the BBB trying to get my money back.

·
Hi-O Silver, Away!
105 Posts
The '06 Dakota Quad Cab I picked up yesterday from Car Max has this issue and the wallowy suspension issue. I guess this has something to do with the great price I got on the truck. Good thing my buddy had a similar truck that he sold to another friend and has a good relationship with the local Dodge dealer.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
I am sorry i did not see this sooner. I have replaced several on the dakotas per the technical service bulletin. If it has a cast stamped on the hubs you are fine but if not, the axles, and all brake hardware need to be replaced, and drums either surfaced, or depending on condition, replaced

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea the whole thing was a real PITA. Now I got a knocking noise while turning, you know anything about this?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.