DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 it's a 3.9 5 speed for $900 and was wondering what kind of problem to watch for with the truck

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Check the ball joints and all steering linkages (tie rod ends, idler, pitman, etc) for play, and replace any that have slop in them.

Change the diff fluids, too! These are good old trucks you will be happy! :)

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
You should have a decent truck there! My truck coulda made it to 300K if it wan't too small for the family.

CAI should help for the v6. other than reg maint. there are a couple issues, wire split under battery tray, (not sure on the newest gen 1's model, if this was an issue), Never do a power flush to trans!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some upper ball joints with it when I bought it was going to wait for some better weather to change them out and change all the fluids. Oil has been changed already

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really it's just nice to no longer be falling into small cars I owned a 91 Shadow before this and a 93 Talon before that. Although I am open to making some changes to it I do plan on getting rid of the topper I find they turn a truck into a van

·
Registered
487 Posts
thats a sweet deal. i woulda picked it up in a heartbeat,

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Those are some newer rims! Are they the 17's?
I like the idea of toppers. I can toss my tools in back and lock it down, or throw the carpet kit in and spend the night out in the wild. Or take it off to move a refridgerator

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought so there are some things that still need fixing but thats just the joys of a used vehicle. The rims are 16's off of a 2001 or newer Durango it also came with the original aluminum 15's I traded them to my uncle and got a 68 slant six

sloggerIII depening on were you live it might be cheaper to grab a new one I live in southern Ontario shipping is very expensive but I was thinking $150

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks like a nice acquisition

I recently bought a 95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 it's a 3.9 5 speed for $900 and was wondering what kind of problem to watch for with the truck
I snagged up a '90 2x4 with the 3.9/auto (ext. cab). Mine had about 138K miles on it, easy miles, but the rig wasn't pampered much. I buffed off all the green growth from the paint, flushed the tranny with a full load of synthetic fluid (new filter too), fresh oil (synthetic), thorough cleaning of the diff. with a fluid change (synthetic) and posi additive, full tune up (I believe the plugs were OEM, paint overspray)... had to cut the rotor off the distributor shaft too, new rotors/pads, front wheel bearings (all packed with synthetic), a new starter too. The truck wouldn't start, so the owner went out and bought himself a new truck... when I asked him what he was going to do with the old one... he told me I could have it. I got it running safely for $600 in parts. A year later I replaced the battery, another year later I replaced the entire cooling system, had to replace the front brake lines, and last year I put new wheels/tires on it, as well as a new catalytic converter and Flowmaster (kept the single exhaust at 2 1/2"). I keep the topper standing by if needed, but prefer it with a locking tool box in the bed, which I had rhino lined. It's now got 169,000 miles on it, gives off a puff of blue when it first lights off (about 30% of the time), chugs on down the road faithfully at about 15mpg. It's got just about all the bells/whistles that were offered for the time, and the only thing that doesn't work right is the sensor for the windshield washer fluid.

As described, I'm happy with the rig, it's clean and straight and runs smooth and tight. It's a slug for acceleration, and at it's very best gets me 17mpg. I have to turn off OD to hold my speed traversing mountain passes. I hope your luck is about as good as mine with your new to you old truck.

My question to you is... is my hunch correct that the 5-spd has better acceleration available to it? Mine won't bark the tires with an empty bed. LOL

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine will spin tires but my uncle also has a 95 that will fry tires and it is a automatic so the problem you likely have is your engine is not a magnum 3.9L there is about 70 hp difference between the 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmmmm

Mine will spin tires but my uncle also has a 95 that will fry tires and it is a automatic so the problem you likely have is your engine is not a magnum 3.9L there is about 70 hp difference between the 2
Mine is definately not a Magnum, and being a '90 it's the throttle body injection model. 70 hp difference you say? :IDEA:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep for 1990 I beleive the 3.9 was rated at 110hp the magnum jumped to 180hp might be off on my numbers but you get the idea

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL "I unnerstan' !"

yep for 1990 I beleive the 3.9 was rated at 110hp the magnum jumped to 180hp might be off on my numbers but you get the idea
I think those numbers are about right. My six cylinder Valkyrie (motorcycle) makes about the same power as my Dakota. :banghead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should have a decent truck there! My truck coulda made it to 300K if it wan't too small for the family.

CAI should help for the v6. other than reg maint. there are a couple issues, wire split under battery tray, (not sure on the newest gen 1's model, if this was an issue), Never do a power flush to trans!
Not to jack the thread , but could you give a full explanation of the " wire split under the battery tray " , Please ?

TIA :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.