DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I found out today that my trany is slipping. I have two options.

Option 1: the mech tears down my trany and finds out whats wrong and fixes it, minimum 1400 dollars to a max of 4500 dollars depending on whats wrong. Take in mind this has been acting up now for about 1 year and no one has been able to figure out the main cause until now.

Option 2: they instal a rebuilt trany for 4100 dollars with an 80,000 mile warranty.

I'm kinda stumped. Any advice?

· Registered
156 Posts
Transmission

Ok, let me give you a couple pieces of advice and again its only my $.02 because I have been down this road.

I didnt notice if you have any power additions above and beyond the OEM power, like a TST, Smarty, Edge, Etc.? If you do then that is prob the reason the trans is going bad in the first place. And it is even more of a reason you DONT want to get a reman transmission because the same thing is going to happen again, and they most likely wont warranty it. If you have no power additions by all means go with the reman and the warranty to go along with it.

If you do have power additions you should ask youself a few questions:

1: Am I going to keep the truck ?

If the answer is no fix the mininum and dump it. If the answer is yes go to question #2.

2: How much power are you going to have in the future ? This will dictate how much $$$ you will (should) spend on the rebuild.

My personal suggestion is to talk to a performance transmission rebuilder, like Suncoast http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html , DTT http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm .

These are the top 2 in the country in Diesel transmission rebuilding. Their are so many options avaliable to you like Billet shafts single double or tripple disk convertors. If you are doing a lot of towing they will set the trans up for you specifically.

Im sorry for rambeling but I thought id pass along as much info as possible

Rob

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I don't have any additions to my Dodge, its all stock. I have planned to do some towing in the future, but thats still down the way. I use my truck for long range transport and security in the snow and mud. I've decided to go with the reman, its just easier.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.