DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Kevin Creason, I live in Tahlequah, OK and will be leaving for Basic in a few months. I'll know exact dates in about a week, I believe. I drive an 83 Porsche 944 and deliver Chinese food for a living. I am 19.

SO, I've always liked the styling of these trucks, and am rather pleased to know they were made just the same until 1993. Of course, the front end is much better in the last 3 years, and the engines in the last 2, so I've narrowed it down to 1992 or 1993, should I elect to go with a regular cab with a 318, or 1993 should I decide on a club cab with a 360.

I stopped a guy on a smoke break earlier today and asked him to show me the back seat area of his 1993 Dodge,which he kindly did and we got to talking about his truck and my Porsche and everything else, which was pretty cool. Also, the club cab is completely unnecessary. There are only 2 jump seats, so its rather useless as seating, but I do like the storage there, so its definitely something I would be up for.

That is the only club-cab I have seen the inside of, but is it safe to assume there is no bench seat option that I could find?

As far as regular cabs go, I have been unable to find one with its person beside it, so I don't know how I like their inside, but I do know I like the styling of it, whether it is short or long bed. It just looks really good... and except for the color, the bright red 4x4 Dodge posted in the first page or two of the 1st Gen pics page is incredible.

I keep having my eyes open for the chance to poke around one of these trucks, but to no avail thus far.

I do not know much about how well these pull things, but what I intend to use the truck for is to pull a car trailer (eventually enclosed) loaded with a Porsche 944 and something else, eventually, but for now it would only be a 14' or 16' trailer with a 2800~lb Porsche on it. Would a 318/reg or 318/club be enough to properly tow/control such weight? I know its not that much but I would rather stay with the D/W150 if I can. 4WD would be neat, but I much prefer the stance of 2WD trucks.

I haven't found many places online with custom things for these trucks, which is unfortunate, but not too terrible.

I guess the main topic of my post is to ask what people here think I should focus on or look for when looking for a truck like this. Most of the ones I have seen lack tailgates or are very beat up. I know I want a straight body, but what sort of things should I be wary of with these?

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
A 318 would have just enough power to pull your Porcshe. Its just a question of how far you want to go, and how hard you push it. I would get a 360, that thing pulls hard, quite good for light towing. As for your club cab, I do believe that jump seats were the only thing offered behind the front seats. There's a thread on here somewhere where a guy took a 2nd gen seat and put it in the back of his pickup.

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 318 would have just enough power to pull your Porcshe. Its just a question of how far you want to go, and how hard you push it. I would get a 360, that thing pulls hard, quite good for light towing
I'm not sure distance wise, and it wouldn't be common, but I really like the idea of piling a few people into the truck and going somewhere for the weekend, towing the Porsche, so that whenever I get there I can pull it off the trailer and enjoy it somewhere besides home. For instance, if I end up with a crew chief MOS, I'll be spending Tech School in Wichita Falls, TX. I have family in Kilgore, TX which is a few hours away, and up here in Tahlequah, OK, again a few hours away.

As for your club cab...there's a thread on here somewhere where a guy took a 2nd gen seat and put it in the back of his pickup.
That sounds interesting, at the very least. I'll have to go find that.

How common were Club Cab Short beds in 1993, as well? I really think that would be the perfect truck for me, styling and overall size and everything being considered.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
I don't really know how common the club cabs were. Not as common as a standard cab for sure. I have seen one in my area. I absolutly love my 360. I pulled a 30ft trailer full of logs for 30 miles and it took it like the champ it is. I estimate about 8000lbs of junk.

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
My dads 318 magnum towed his 69 road runner on a trailer just mine. I garuntee you that there is more iron in the block of the car than in your entire Porsche.

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I garuntee you that there is more iron in the block of the car than in your entire Porsche
You better believe it! Which is why its got near perfect weight distribution and handles like its on rails :cool:

So, another question is whether the grill from a 91-93 would be able to be put on an older model year, because if so, that would open my options up much wider. I really love the later front end! The bodies all look great, from 81 to 93, and Ive actually seen things saying that the earlier engines, though technically lower rated in power, are superior to the magnums. What is the popular consensus on this? Perhaps it refers to the parts availability and what you can do during a rebuild?

If I find the truck that I talked to the guy about again, I'll snap a pic or two of it, along with any others I see. The more the merrier!

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! I just found an ad for a truck. In fact, the only picture I have found of a short bed extended cab Dodge. Model Year 1993, even! I love it.

|

Of course, as long as the dash isn't cracked and the body doesn't have rust holes in it, I'm happy. I have plans for this truck that definitely do not require stock or original condition or even good shape, really.

And I just found this local for me ad, of a 1990 red club cab short box, it appears to be. Any idea what these things go for, and what to ask about? I wouldn't know the first thing to say if I called them.
|

Heck, I'm sure I sound like a super noob, which I am concerning these, but still. What is the difference between Dodge 150 and 250's of these years? I know with Fords, the difference between i a 250 and 350 is rear springs, more or less.

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
That '93 you posted is nice -- LE trim meaning all the bells and whistles (power windows/mirrors/locks, two-tone paint, more trim, etc).

I've owned 4 Dodges to date -- and honestly I prefer the Magnums -- especially the 5.9L in my '93. They get better fuel economy (even if only a couple MPGs), always start right up in the hot or cold and are very smooth running engines. If you get a '92 318 or early '93 (318 or 360) they have the more desirable exhaust manifolds (good for a little extra power). With the TBI engines you're kinda stuck as there isn't much that can be done with them -- so I'd go carb'd if you don't want a Magnum. I haven't had any problems with either Magnum I had -- they've very stout and capable motors.

You can fit the '91-'93 grille on the earlier trucks however you need the core support and sheet metal below the grill if you're going to swap it on a '90 or earlier (the headlights aren't in the same location as they are on '81-'90s).

The difference between a 150 (1/2 ton) / 250 (3/4 ton) / 350 (1 ton) is all in axles/springs/shocks (pertaining to towing capacity) -- 250/350s will have either a Spicer 60 or 70 rear axle and a 44 (250) or 60 (250/350) front axle. The 250s and 350s definitely ride harder than a 150 as well when not towing. Oh the 250/350s have 8-lug wheels as opposed to 5 on the 150s.

Finding a non-Cummins '91-'93 can be hard...even harder if you're looking for a 4x4 -- however if you're willing to travel you'll increase your odds of finding what you want.

I use: http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi to search all craigslists for a specific vehicle -- takes a lot less time and you get a better feel for what's out there and what people are asking for them.

Good luck! :tup:

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 250s and 350s definitely ride harder than a 150 as well when not towing
I see... which means I definitely want a D150, because i won't only be driving this to tow, it'll be a semi-daily driver or a driving project, at the least, like the Porsche is.

This is a picture I snapped earlier today, of the guy's truck who I spoke to the other day. Turns out, he is the owner of the restaurant pictured. Kinda looks like a bum, he does, but his truck is exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Body not perfect, but very straight. Has a few dings on the bed and such, a few surface spots of rust, but nothing major. Looks like a bent front bumper, maybe some hood issues. Again, nothing major.
  • Bought when it was one year old, with 55k miles, and kept it ever since. Now has somewhere in the ballpark of 185k miles.
  • Not cracked dash, but messy and dirty interior.
  • 318 Magnum with an Automatic transmission
  • D150, not W or 250/350
  • Club Cab Short Bed LE
I think this truck is simply perfect for what I'm wanting to do. Hop up the 318 a bit (even if that's just improving exhaust and adding a spacer) and paint it black, add some tasteful spots of chrome and swap in an NV4500 manual transmission and some other things...before long, it'll be one hell of a truck, even more than it already is.

Now, the question is, the only club cab I have seen online with a price next to it, using the link provided above, is a very nice 45,000 mile Long bed 250 for 3300. I have seen a few turbo diesel ones, but I doubt those are comparable enough on the market to compare to this D150, so I don't think I can. Also going by very nice regular cab trucks going for little over 2300, with the max I think was at 4-something but show-quality, I daresay this one would not be worth that much. I really think he'd sell it to me, considering how he was showing me around it and all. Telling me stuff I now don't remember, and never asked about, lol. I don't know how people feel, though, about being offered something for the car they've had since next-to-new. Anyone out there that bought a truck new/one year old, have any thoughts? I'd hate to offend him, but I definitely got the vibe that he expected me to make an offer.

_____

On an unrelated note, I took these three pictures while driving to work today. Saw this truck pull out and zoom off, so I zoomed too :party09:

·
RAM IT!!!
297 Posts
Lookin good. There seem to be more club cabs down in OK then NE. I think I've seen two around Omaha. the D-150 will drive and ride better than a W-150.

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
I see... which means I definitely want a D150, because i won't only be driving this to tow, it'll be a semi-daily driver or a driving project, at the least, like the Porsche is.
As far as 250s/350s riding harder when not pulling, merely means they're able to tow more weight when you do have a trailer hooked to them.

My '93 W250 rights harder than me W150 did due to more leafs in the spring pack and heavier rear shocks. Since you're looking at 2WD trucks I'm sure this still applies for the rear end, but the front has coil springs rather than leafs so I'm sure this improves the ride quality a little either way.

This is a picture I snapped earlier today, of the guy's truck who I spoke to the other day. Turns out, he is the owner of the restaurant pictured. Kinda looks like a bum, he does, but his truck is exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Body not perfect, but very straight. Has a few dings on the bed and such, a few surface spots of rust, but nothing major. Looks like a bent front bumper, maybe some hood issues. Again, nothing major.
  • Bought when it was one year old, with 55k miles, and kept it ever since. Now has somewhere in the ballpark of 185k miles.
  • Not cracked dash, but messy and dirty interior.
  • 318 Magnum with an Automatic transmission
  • D150, not W or 250/350
  • Club Cab Short Bed LE
Any truck that's been used at a truck won't be perfect, especially when they get into to 18-20 year old range. Things like bumpers are easily swapped. Neither of my '93s have had any real dash/interior issues (besides being dirty when purchased). As a matter of fact the interiors usually clean up pretty nicely. Since it has 185k on it I'd definitely take it for a spin -- see how that transmission shifts -- some are fine at higher mileage -- some can have issues (unless you plan on doing an NV4500 swap in the near future).

Now, the question is, the only club cab I have seen online with a price next to it, using the link provided above, is a very nice 45,000 mile Long bed 250 for 3300. I have seen a few turbo diesel ones, but I doubt those are comparable enough on the market to compare to this D150, so I don't think I can. Also going by very nice regular cab trucks going for little over 2300, with the max I think was at 4-something but show-quality, I daresay this one would not be worth that much. I really think he'd sell it to me, considering how he was showing me around it and all. Telling me stuff I now don't remember, and never asked about, lol. I don't know how people feel, though, about being offered something for the car they've had since next-to-new. Anyone out there that bought a truck new/one year old, have any thoughts? I'd hate to offend him, but I definitely got the vibe that he expected me to make an offer.
Prices are all over the places -- especially in different parts of the country -- for instance 2WD trucks in Colorado tend to be worth a lot less than their 4WD counterparts. Diesels are a whole different ballpark in terms of price since the Cummins is bulletproof, can be cranked up, and tow much more than the gassers. I've never offered to buy someone's vehicle that wasn't for sale, but let them know if they ever chose to sell it I'd be interested (and left contact information).

For instance, there's a nice '91 150 LE reg. cab/long bed w/318 & automatic with 151k here in Denver for $1500 (I'm sure it could be had for a few hundred less): http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2242755978.html

On an unrelated note, I took these three pictures while driving to work today. Saw this truck pull out and zoom off, so I zoomed too
That would be a W250 or 350 Cummins -- they can definitely scoot! :rck:

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just hoping my stuff sells soon, so I can pay what bills I need to take care of and then be able to know what price range of truck I can look at.

I'm really hoping to find one just like the D150 club cab that the BJs Diner owner has. I love the lower stance of the Ds rather than the look of the Ws, I must say.

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And speakingof said stance, do all D150's have the same stnace as that of the extended cab short bed, or is it jsut 93, or what? I've been tossing the ideas around for a while between these AWESOME dodges or a 73-79 F150 like my dad/grandpa had, but I am definitely hung up on a club cab short bed 92-93 Dodge D150... for sure.

Oh, and on a sidenote, here in a few days I'm gonna go check out this pickup:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/2252422964.html
inside:

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
Depending on how it runs and what it needs a good deal could potentially be had!

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
Quite true. See about makin the outside look a bit nicer, refresh the interior, and make sure the engine is good... FLIP. Maybe.
Could be a plan if it's not what you want...I haven't lost money on a Dodge yet... ;-)

Just found this, as well, which is freakin sweet! beat up, but the right proportions... D150 Club Cab Short Bed :D

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2253253870.html

and I would jsut put on the fornt end of a 91-93 :nono
WOW that's a lot of cash for an '81, 2WD truck, with tranny problems! It's worth maybe a quarter of his asking price if you have to tear the tranny apart (or replace it)! Funny thing is, if you slapped the '91-'93 grill on and a quicky paint job, not many folks would be able to tell if it was an '81 or '93 unless they got up close! ;-)

And, though mroe than I want to pay, very nice:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2249039381.html
Once again, HOLY COW! I guess Oklahomans like their Dodges! Granted it's an LE and only has "80k" on it (considering he said the odo doesn't work)...but...Yikes! Did you ever find out if the guy was willing to part with his club cab?

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Havent asked him yet.. been wanting to wait til I have good leads on my own stuff (engagement ring, Mustang project, Datsun) so I can actually talk offers if he brings it up. I would hate to have to stop in the middle of a great discussion about it, cuz I couldn't back it up or had to shoot in the dark. Know what I mean?

But now... what the heck makes the 81 NOT a gen 1 ram? I can scarcely tell them apart...

Edit:
Tah-Duh!!!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/2235896121.html

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
Ah yes I understand! As far as what makes an '81-'87 not a 1st gen? No clue. Except '87s and below were carbureted like their earlier counter parts, most '88s were TBI (except 360s) -- other than that no other distinguishing factors comes to mind.

The dash pretty much didn't change from '81-'93, however the interiors got more trim as the years progressed. The '91-'93 LEs also got different fender mouldings and side trim versus earlier years. All in all it wouldn't take too much to make an '81-'90 look like a '91-'93. If you got the right truck for the right price, would it be worth it? Of course! ;)

·
I drive a Porsche
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like this one. What does the 100 mean, or is it really a 150?
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/2188791459.html

Heres a good one too, at a dealer
http://joplin.craigslist.org/ctd/2231479913.html

its kinda dissapointing to see prices SOOO far scattered. I wish there were one thing I could go off of that would let me know a decent price for one of these...

But if not the BJs owner's Dodge, I think I like either that reg cab (for Flipping potential. Will reserve final judgement, of course) and the red 81, especially if it can be had on the basis of tranny problems = lower price.

man, my stuff needs to freakin sell. lol.

·
Project Power Ram
320 Posts
I really like this one. What does the 100 mean, or is it really a 150?
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/2188791459.html
Back in the 70s to get around emissions laws they made 'heavy' half-tons (called 150s over 100s) -- with a higher gross vehicle weight they didn't have to have any (or as much) emissions equipment as their 100 counterparts. I'm not quite sure if that still applied in '89 or not. Either way a 1xx is a 1/2 ton for all intensive purposes. That does look like a very clean/straight truck though!

Also not bad looking...paint looks pretty shot in some spots though.

its kinda dissapointing to see prices SOOO far scattered. I wish there were one thing I could go off of that would let me know a decent price for one of these...
Welcome to the world of old pickups -- price varies from state to state...town to town. Some sellers think their old pickup is worth way more than it is, some just want to get rid of them. All comes down to what you're willing to pay. It *might* be worth you time to look in states where 4x4 is more desirable -- then 2WD trucks tend to be much cheaper. If you come across anything in Colorado I'd always be willing to go take a look if it isn't too far away.

But if not the BJs owner's Dodge, I think I like either that reg cab (for Flipping potential. Will reserve final judgement, of course) and the red 81, especially if it can be had on the basis of tranny problems = lower price.

man, my stuff needs to freakin sell. lol.
If you can get that regular cab it might be enough to get your feet wet -- maybe you'll end up loving it...maybe you'll learn and flip then get what you really want. I liked that red '81 (sans price/transmission issues).

I had to sell an old Audi (where most of my auto knowledge actually is) I owned before I could get another truck -- one for the money -- two for the room. So I know all too well what you're going through!

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.