DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2wd that i would like to lift and need some help with what will i need to do to make rough country 3in. liftkit ( front springs with blocks in the rear)work with stock 20's (says wheels need a 4.5 backspacing) ? i plan on getting new tires so what would be the largest i could go without problem ??(they recomend a 33 x 12.5) what size would this be with 20's?? sorry for all the questions and i would use the search feature, i just have a limited amount of time on the computer and need some help.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
33x12.5 means the tire is 33" tall and 12.5" wide - you need one more number - the rim diameter. They make both 33x12.5x17" and 33x12.5x20" tires. I did a quick check and there appear to be more of a mix of ATs and MTs in the 33x12.5x17 size and mostly MTs in the 33x12.5x20 size.

Does this help?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanxs for the info...............i still need help with the back spacing issue. i read somewhere a while back about a spacer or an adapter. ( i think it was 1/4 inch.) arnt factory 20inch tires somewere around 33in tall. im really bad with tire sizes so work with me..........i think 275mm wide converts to 10.287in wide.......RC website recomends a tire that is 12.5in wide ( is this why they say u need a 4.5 bs on your wheels?). so if i went with say a 305 which is 12.0078in wide would i still need a spacer?

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
It is a bit confusing - metric tires only list the width and the profile height as a percentage of the width. You need to calulate that profile height, then add the rim height to get the overall height. English sizes list the height in inches and the width in inches so no matter what the rim size, it will always be 33" tall and 12.5" wide. For your 275 tires I get 10.827" wide (275mm/25.4). I do know that the 02-05 4x4 suspension will fit a 33x12.5 with no level or lift kit. The OEM wheels have about a 5.5" backspace, so they do mount closer to the suspension. I would think that a 305mm, which is 12.00 inches wide would fit (as long as it is close to 33" tall). You do have the option of installing 1/4" spacers as well if they end slightly rubbing or are very close to rubbing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im now im concerned with the upper a-arm hitting the spring bucket. ( should i be worried). im thinking that mabiee a spindle lift might be better ? (i dont know ) all i know is i dont wanna do more than 4in of lift and i still wanna use my factory 20's. help me out guys............what should i do..........and it needs to be a resonable priced option as well (my wife acctually picked out the rc lift (so she has seen the price)as a gift for me but wanted to make sure it would fit WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.) so help me out guys !!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
well im now im concerned with the upper a-arm hitting the spring bucket. ( should i be worried). im thinking that mabiee a spindle lift might be better ? (i dont know ) all i know is i dont wanna do more than 4in of lift and i still wanna use my factory 20's. help me out guys............what should i do..........and it needs to be a resonable priced option as well (my wife acctually picked out the rc lift (so she has seen the price)as a gift for me but wanted to make sure it would fit WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.) so help me out guys !!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh dang - I missed the 2wd thing. Someone else would have to chime in on that suspension, since lifting 2wds is not as common.

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts
You can do the 3" spindle lift and the 2" spring spacer if you want and run 35's. Then maybe a 3" block in the rear and she should sit level, maybe 1/2" higher in the rear. You should also be able to run a 35x12.50x20 on stock rims with out a problem. It's the 06+ guys that have the major rubbing issues. This is what I will eventually have if I keep the truck long enough.

I already have the 2" spring spacers and it sits pretty close to level. I also have the stock size tire, but in a Cooper AT. It comes out to be a 33x11x20 and I still have lots of room from the sidewall to the ball joint. I could easily run a 33x12.50 now. Add the lift spindles and 35's are no problem.

IMO, 33's with a 3"+ lift are too small.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have no need to run 35's.......33's will do just fine for me. i just wanna lift it a lil so it will actually have some suspension in the front......i think my springs are sagging because my lower control arms are constantly ridding on the bumpstops and this makes for a pretty hard ride the way things are right now..........this is why i havent done spacers in the front already.

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts
Then just do the front spacers and run some good 33's. Check out my gallery, that's what I am running.

·
Registered
637 Posts
be careful with the RC 3" spindles if you decide to go that direction. I used to have a set of those on my truck and those things chewed through the sway bar end links! and believe me, those things are not cheap to replace. The spring swap could be a better idea and if all your looking to do is get a little more ground clearance, then a 3" kit should be fine

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys im stumped on what i should do...........I looked at 2.5 daystar spacers and they say i would need new upper a-arms, but mention nothing about offset on wheels. I looked at rc 3in spring lift.......it says you need 4.5 bs on your wheels, but mentions nothing about the upper a-arms. I know that with the rc lift that if i dont go any longer than a stock shock the upper a-arm should be ok and not hit the spring bucket. What gets me is that a spacer requires new uppers but can use factory wheels, and a spring kit can use the factory uppers but requires new wheels. Theres only 1/2in diff. in lift so what gives. :crazy: Im lost here guys......I really think the new springs would be the better route, I just need to know what needs to be done to keep my factory 20's, and what size tires to get. Should i just stay in the 275-60/20, 275-55/20 range to be safe or can I fit a 305-55/20 without issuses.

HELP ME 2wd LIFT GODS!!!!!!! :help:

·
Registered
352 Posts
BROTHER THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD. im in the same position myself man. I was also lookin at the RC 3" spring lift. i have the stock 17's and i was hoping i could put the lift on my truck and then get 33's. But apparantly i cant get this lift put on without getting larger tires? could someone expplain that to me??

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
The upper control arm/coil bucket issue is only with the 06 and up 2wd. You should not need new arms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am also looking to level and lift my truck. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the RC kit a 3/1 lift? Does anyone know of a way to get a true 3" all the way around after being leveled?

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can buy the 3" RC spindles and, then, my 3" lift blocks (blocks and u-bolts missing one washer and nut) for $50 shipped.

·
Registered
415 Posts
replied...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.