DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Dodge Ram 2-wheel drive 1500: My headlights will only come on when my steering wheel is in it's highest position. The light work perfectly and don't flicker or anything. As long as the steering wheel is lifted to it's max, I have lights. When I lower it however, the lights cut off instantly. This forum has been helpful so far, but can't find anything on this topic. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
No idea. The headlight switch is up in the dash but the hi/lo beam is in the multi-function switch on the column. I guess I would start there as its the only thing that can have an effect on the head lights in the column. Pop of the column covers and start checking wires with a meter as you move the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm about to put in a new ignition switch. Would it be easier to investigate the problem while working on that, or would the light issue be a whole other project?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Might as well, you'll have the column apart. Get some good diagrams for your year and start checking. Some early models had pinching issues I think and in 98 they changed dashes but used the same headlight switch. Then 99 got the rotary switch that stayed through 3rd gens.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
you prolly got a bad wire off the high/low switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts