Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I purchased a 2004 durango SLT 3.7 v6. I have never used or own any american brand car/SUV/truck. Sad to say but i already had problems with the remote less key it comes with the durango :WHT:. But its not that big of an issue. So far i like the durango. But i just wanted to get some advise from people who have more experience.

So far the changes i have made are

Synthetic Motor oil
Synthetic rear dif oil
Added drop in K &N filter
When i purchased it came with 22" chrome rims

Other than that its pretty much stock or at least to my knowledge.

rear climate control
3 row seat ETC. (SLT model)

Thank you for taking the time to look,

any advise or suggestions will be greatly appriciated. I also was wondering what kind of MPG city/HWY are you getting on your durango?

Ill be posting pictures later today

·
Hemi User
1,719 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the "D". I think your one of the few that have the 3.7 in her.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
welcome to dt

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
wow a 3.7L performance wise, I have no idea what options/mod there are available.. fuel milage.. I have a Hemi, so I don't think my #s will be anywhere near as close to yours..

If you are concerned about MPG you may want to consider going to a lightweight 17" rim and a 245/70-75/17 tire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow a 3.7L performance wise, I have no idea what options/mod there are available.. fuel milage.. I have a Hemi, so I don't think my #s will be anywhere near as close to yours..

If you are concerned about MPG you may want to consider going to a lightweight 17" rim and a 245/70-75/17 tire.
Thank you all for the feedback,

Just fyi I don't plan to make this D better in performance. I am fine as it is, I was just wondering if the change to synthetic oil was okay.

I also wanted to mention that am getting close to 12 mpg, that's pretty low but I thought I would ask people on this forum if that was reasonable?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
synthetic is fine, I put synthic in everything:
My 04 5.7L Hemi D
Wife's 02 Neon 2.0 4cyl R/T
my 87 Fifth ave 318 v8
83 Dodge D50 Turbo Diesel 4x4
my old 02 Neon LE

The only time it's an "issue" really is older vehicles like my fifth ave, even though it only has 90K miles on it the seals dry out a touch and you get seapage and some times leaks.

Your Milage umm is that 12MPG highway or city?
My D I get 16-21mpg Highway unloaded depending on outside temp and wind
normal "city" between 12-15.5mpg
My local town (it's in a vally to half the time I'm going up a hill or riding the brakes going down a hill I get between 8 and 14mpg

I will add most domestics run rich in colder temps so your milage takes a decent hit.

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback,

Just fyi I don't plan to make this D better in performance. I am fine as it is, I was just wondering if the change to synthetic oil was okay.

I also wanted to mention that am getting close to 12 mpg, that's pretty low but I thought I would ask people on this forum if that was reasonable?
Welcome to the dark side:VHOT:!!!! The 12mpg sounds resonable, as my Liberty has it and gets 14-16 mpg, in full time 4x4. The D ways about 1000 pounds more, so that sounds resonable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its 12mpg city I have fill the D three time and calculated the mpg (miles driven/ # of gallons) and get 11.3, 11.9, and 11.6. So am guessing th v6 is eating more gas than a v8 hemi?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
well the v6 has to work harder to get it moving, when I'm towing 3000-5000lbs I get similar miles city as you do... so then my Hemi is working just as hard as your V6... now highway once up to speed you should be able to get similar if not better milage than me.

·
Swamp Yankee
1,201 Posts
Don't forget you are running 22" rims, thats killing your MPG.....

·
Just Layin' Low
268 Posts
Welcome to DT.I would agree on 22's.I have the 4.7 and I can tell a difference between the 17's it came with and having the 20's on it now.

·
Just Layin' Low
268 Posts
Of course braking,Off the line,mpg.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I assume the upgraded tires/rims are after market? If so, you can almost bet that your speedometer is off - which means your odometer is off. You are probably doing better than indicated in your calculations. If you are relying on your odometer for the miles traveled between fillups you are working with faulty information.

22' rims are huge - look cool I'm sure - but huge. Your speedometer is likely off by at least 10%. If you know what stock size wheels and tire came with your vehicle (do you have a window sticker?) you can calculate the difference at

http://www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.html

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I assume the upgraded tires/rims are after market? If so, you can almost bet that your speedometer is off - which means your odometer is off. You are probably doing better than indicated in your calculations. If you are relying on your odometer for the miles traveled between fillups you are working with faulty information.

22' rims are huge - look cool I'm sure - but huge. Your speedometer is likely off by at least 10%. If you know what stock size wheels and tire came with your vehicle (do you have a window sticker?) you can calculate the difference at

http://www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.html
Dan what size tires do you have? My 22" are 305/40/22 and are a 31.6" tire compared to a the stock 245/70/17 that are a 30.6" tire. My speedo is within .1-.2 of the GPS if that is 100% accurate. With the 17" tires speedo was 63.5 mph at GPS 65 mph. Sorry MoparBlue but unless he has a 33-34" tire his speedo is no where near 10% off.

With all that your 22" are costing you 2-3 mpg in town and 2 mpg on the highway minimum just because of the weight. Stocker 17" aluminum wheels and tires weighin around 56lbs. My 22"/tires are some of the lightest 22" rims and total wieght is right around 78 Lbs.

$2.00 Gas isnt to bad, $4.00 hurts

And Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry MoparBlue but unless he has a 33-34" tire his speedo is no where near 10% off.

QUOTE]

My speedo would be off my 9.666666666% IF I went from 17" to 20" wheels (he has 22" wheels) and my tires width and aspect ratio were the same as my stock 17" wheels; likely that won't be the case (width and aspect ratio will be different) but in lieu of any other information, I used what I had/knew.

I am certainly no authority on wheel/tire upgrades, but his speedo/odometer are off unless those 22" wheels were a factory option or someone changed gears!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
^^--- most times if you put a 265/65/22 on a D the wheels might not spin.. it's called plus sizing any proper tire shop would by default give you a proper sized tire to keep your speedo as accurate as possible, unless you ask for a different size.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sorry MoparBlue but unless he has a 33-34" tire his speedo is no where near 10% off.

QUOTE]

My speedo would be off my 9.666666666% IF I went from 17" to 20" wheels (he has 22" wheels) and my tires width and aspect ratio were the same as my stock 17" wheels; likely that won't be the case (width and aspect ratio will be different) but in lieu of any other information, I used what I had/knew.

I am certainly no authority on wheel/tire upgrades, but his speedo/odometer are off unless those 22" wheels were a factory option or someone changed gears!
But you never keep the same size and aspect ratio when you go up in rim size.

original size is 245/70/17 thats a 30.6"
original size 265/65/17 thats a 30.5"
20' rim you would put a 265/50/20 thats a 30.6"
22" rim the largest would be a 305/45/22 and thats a 32.5"

But the most popular 22" tire is a 305/40/22 and thats a 31.5" tire

He may even have a 285/45/22 and thats a 32.9"
275/45/22 is a 31.8"

None of these will put him at 10%

MY 305/40/22" are 1" taller in diameter than stock and I'm at 3.6%

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.