DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to using Diesels and I noticed that when I begin in drive the there is a lag between the engine reving up and the transmition engaging in the Automatic Transmition? 2003 3500 4X4??

·
Registered
852 Posts
Its called a "Torque Converter". It allows the engine to rev up, before engaging because of the fact that these trucks were made to haul, and haul lots. Especially a 3500. I have an 2005, 2500 CTD and I don't haul or pull anything. Thats the way the tranny was set up. You get used to it though. Its not like a regular truck where the shifts are really smooth. Its a heavy duty truck, with a heavy duty tranny, axle, transfer case, etc.... Lots of people get the 6 speed tranny, just because they don't like the shift pattern and feel of the 48RE auto...

Carlos

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Carlos,
Thanks for the reply! I thought so I just wanted to make Sure!!

Shambo

·
Registered
852 Posts
No problem. Be sure to keep the maintanance up on the tranny, (i.e. changing the fluid, filter) especially if you tow or haul things. 95% of automatic transmission failure is due to lack of proper maintenance. If you bought yours used, it would be best to check out the fluid and even have it changed if the person before you did not do it yet...

Carlos

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
No offense but I think that's bad advise! My truck does not do what he describes. I'd say there's something wrong inside that trans. Your symptoms actually sound like you have a low fluid level or bad fluid. Check the level and if it's OK I'd get some new ATF+4 and change it. If that doesn't work then it's time to get it to the shop.....

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I've owned 5 diesel auto 3500's since 98 and never had one do this yet. I think you better have it checked out, doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 94' did that and I ended up with a 2500 dollar rebuild. I got to the lake just fine then when I backed my boat in the lake I couldn't even pull the trailer out of the water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tranny lag

Well that just happened to me ,where you rev the engine and there is a lag when the tranny engages will your in drive. Brought mine in to get serviced and had the service manager look at it and said that there was definitely something wrong. had to replace the bands in the tranny cause they were worn out. Good thing it was still under warranty.

2003 2500 RAM CTD just stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.