1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 dakota sport 4X4 4.7l v8

i have a few questions about it,
they are all pretty simple

what are the best oil to use?(i say oil but suggest all the good stuff, we all have opinions)
oil filter?
tranny fluid?
front/rear diff?
and anything else i should be aware of, like free mods and such

keep in mind i am not going for speed or a hardcore 4X4, i want to build it to be an outdoorsmans truck, daily driven, but capable of some off road abuse from time to time

thanks, glad to be apart of the site!!

--scott :rck:

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Any good oil will work fine and most of the name brand oil filters are the same. One thing I will tell you is ALWAYS use oem tranny fluid. The same kind that came with it. Too many people have killed their tannies buy going to a quick lube place and having them change the fluid. Front and read diff really doesn't matter as long as you get the proper weight oil.

Andrew

·
Registered
155 Posts
2K2, do you have a story to go with your advice? I was planning to go to Amsoil synthetic tranny oil but I'm always open to good advice if it will save me a tranny!

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
I know that on the 46-RE trans, the recommended tranny fluid IS NOT synthetic, at least is was not on the 99 models.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
I haven't had a tranny problem from the wrong fluid, but I have read a lot of posts on people getting the wrong kind and it can kill the Dodge trannies if the incorrect fluid is used.

Andrew

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
My point exactly, I have an ex friend only to be known as TUBBY THE DUMBA## that got his fluid changed at a QUICK LUBE place and they convinced him to go with synthetic, so they could charge him more. Needless to say he developed tranny problems in a relatively short period of time. I told him to dump it & put the correct fluid back, but some people are hard headed!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
How's it going, Dave? Anyway, I was going to go with the Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid. It lasts twice as long and it shouldn't break down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.