DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I recently but I don’t do 99 dodge ram 2500 Laramie 4 x 4 automatic and I just love it! I needed to step ladder to first get into it, but have since installed a step on each side, making things much easier! I am having a blast adding mods to my truck, and recently I decided to give the 4 x 4 a try, as I’ve never used it before! I read the manual and it was not clear at all, and my search online has Me do you believe I should be driving my truck in 2H just for every day use? When I bought my truck, I never needed to touch the 4 x 4 gear, and I am pretty damn sure that it is in neutral and that’s what I’ve been driving in? Not quite understanding yet, I tried to put it in 4L a while back when parked, And the grinding it made had me take it right back out of the gear immediately! Now when I did this, I pulled it back one notch, the gear it is always been in, And on the stick it says 4 low, neutral, 2 high, and 4 high From top to bottom. With the truck in drive I have pulled it down one notch (2H) and it drives fine, Although it doesn’t coast very well, and doesnt drive as nice as it does in neutral, Where it picks up speed easily, it’s fast, it drives like I would expect any other truck to drive! No, with the truck in 2H I have also tried to engage it in 4H, And it does run, and I can feel all four tires turning, but when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or the right it starts bumping n wobbling And just doesn’t feel right! I just wanted to give that information in case someone feels it may pertain to a problem I may be having, but my main question here is what is the difference between neutral and 2 high? If neutral is for flat towing, why does my truck drive the best in neutral And almost seems to resist speed in 2 high? If my truck runs the best in neutral should I not just keep it there? I’m really hoping someone can explain some of this to me in layman‘s terms, I just want to enjoy my truck, and with winter almost here, be able to use the 4 x 4 option when I need it - safely for both me and the truck! (If they didn’t come with a lift kit in 99, then it has one, and it is also an automatic if I need to mention that?)
Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help me! Cheers!

·
Red Trucker
2,522 Posts
First and foremost, do not try to drive with your transfer case in N (neutral). On road should only ever be 2H or 4H.
2H - two wheel drive for every day driving
N - neutral; this setting completely disengages everything. Will not drive the rear or front wheels. This is mainly for towing. FYI setting the transmission in park will not work properly if the t-case is in N.
4H - part time four wheel drive. What this means is that only when conditions are slippery (ice, mud, etc) is when this setting should be used. Not for dry pavement or just rain because there is no slip provision like full time four/all wheel drive does. This is why when you turn the wheel in 4H it feels like it's bucking and binding. You could ultimately break something.
4L - low range four wheel drive, strictly off road use only.

If you reread your manual there are descriptions and instructions on how to properly engage each part of the transfer case:
This transfer case is intended to be driven in the 2-wheel-drive position (2H) for normal street and highway conditions such as dry hard surfaced roads.
When additional traction is required the transfer case 4H and 4L positions can be used to lock the front and rear
driveshafts together and force the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This is accomplished by
simply moving the shift lever to the desired positions. The 4H and 4L positions are intended for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on dry hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. If the vehicle is in motion, shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage / disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case lever.
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral).
That's the reason you got all that grinding, transfer case isn't designed to be shifted without movement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I recently but I don’t do 99 dodge ram 2500 Laramie 4 x 4 automatic and I just love it! I needed to step ladder to first get into it, but have since installed a step on each side, making things much easier! I am having a blast adding mods to my truck, and recently I decided to give the 4 x 4 a try, as I’ve never used it before! I read the manual and it was not clear at all, and my search online has Me do you believe I should be driving my truck in 2H just for every day use? When I bought my truck, I never needed to touch the 4 x 4 gear, and I am pretty damn sure that it is in neutral and that’s what I’ve been driving in? Not quite understanding yet, I tried to put it in 4L a while back when parked, And the grinding it made had me take it right back out of the gear immediately! Now when I did this, I pulled it back one notch, the gear it is always been in, And on the stick it says 4 low, neutral, 2 high, and 4 high From top to bottom. With the truck in drive I have pulled it down one notch (2H) and it drives fine, Although it doesn’t coast very well, and doesnt drive as nice as it does in neutral, Where it picks up speed easily, it’s fast, it drives like I would expect any other truck to drive! No, with the truck in 2H I have also tried to engage it in 4H, And it does run, and I can feel all four tires turning, but when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or the right it starts bumping n wobbling And just doesn’t feel right! I just wanted to give that information in case someone feels it may pertain to a problem I may be having, but my main question here is what is the difference between neutral and 2 high? If neutral is for flat towing, why does my truck drive the best in neutral And almost seems to resist speed in 2 high? If my truck runs the best in neutral should I not just keep it there? I’m really hoping someone can explain some of this to me in layman‘s terms, I just want to enjoy my truck, and with winter almost here, be able to use the 4 x 4 option when I need it - safely for both me and the truck! (If they didn’t come with a lift kit in 99, then it has one, and it is also an automatic if I need to mention that?)
Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help me! Cheers!
Not real sure but if the truck has been lifted the lever may need adjusted do to the heights Chang causing lever to hit the floor if it has a body lift this was a problem on my 97 2500

1 - 3 of 3 Posts