Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Are we going down?
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Just installed some BFG's AT KO's 285/70/17 and now I am having a slight vibration during acceleration and braking at speeds from (0-25 miles/hr or 0-40km/hr). Previous tires were goodyear wranglers 275/70/17, these came with the truck. It feels like if your driving a standard transmission and your in second gear and your not given her enough gas. At higher speed it seems to drive ok.
Has any one who has installed taller tires had any problems like this,or is my transmisson f##ked. Oh I have 60 miles of powertrain warranty left so she's going in. Or do I have to get the computer flashed for the new tire size. :huh:

Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just installed a set of BFG AT's no vibrations, nice and quiet too. If you don't have other problems, like tranny or U-joint, it may be a balancing issue with one of your tires. Sometimes a little knobby-er tire will exaggerate a future u-joint problem.

I'ver heard some dealerships tell guys that the BFG's are too aggressive and cause problems in the drive train, that's a line of . . all that happens is that they bring out an inherent design flaw with the generic drivetrain parts.

CD

·
Are we going down?
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would I not notice the vibration at higher speeds if a tire was not balance correctly. Guess I'll go to the dealership first and then to the tire shop.

Thanks CD

Anybody else who is running on 285/70/17, did you just install the tires and you were good to go?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rotate em and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah they didn't balance your tires properly just have them re-balanced any half way decent shop would take them back and rebalance them for you it happens a lot, if the person didn't put them on the Machine right or put the wrong size weight on. Not big deal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got 2 different sets of 285s bfg mud terrains, and bridgestone revos no vibrations on either. I would check with the tire shop first.

·
Are we going down?
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little update. I notice that when I am driving on the highway and I back of the gas the truck vibrates a little, I did not notice it before. She's in for service today, have 10km (6miles) left on the power train warranty. Service guy thinks it might be u-joints we'll see. I'll let you's know.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Are we going down?
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was the U-joints, which will be replaced under warranty which is just about up for me. :D

They also told me that one of my rear shocks is bad and wanted to replace both at $176.00 each. Seems a bit high for shocks so I said no thanks. So I was wondering what type of shocks should I get for the rear since I need some anyway. Oh yah how much will they cost. I have a 4X4. Maybe I should start another tread for this. :D

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.