DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
danimalhemi24
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rec'd my new Superchips Flashpaq 3815 today. Tonight after work I updated it and installed it to performance 91 setting and disabled the mds. I took it for a quick spin out in the country and notice it shifts a lot better and spins the tires easier on dry pavement. Will it take the truck a little time to learn the superchips????

Ok, my real question is about my tires. After I tuned the truck, I started messing around with the programmer. It said my tire size was set @ 31.50 inches. I have 20's with the goodyear 275/60/r20's and was thinking they measured closer to 33" dia. I'm guessing when the superchips read my truck it thought I had 17's. Anyone know the true size of my 275's and should I go in and change it so my speedo is more accurate?????

Thanks to anyone that can help a brother out!!!!

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
When you read the tire size as 31.50, that's the stock setting in Superchips for your truck. Don't touch it or your speedo will be off. The only time you'll need to touch that setting is, if you're going to a different size tire.

The truck will get stronger as you put more miles on the tune.

Also, Dodge has a hard coded 5000 mile break in period built into the PCM. Your best performance, with the tuner installed, will be after you hit 5019 miles. Not sure if you're there already.

Enjoy the tuner and the options to come. :)

Sil

·
danimalhemi24
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I better start putting some miles on the ole' beast. It only has about 1950 miles on it. Thanks for the answers fellas.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
When you read the tire size as 31.50, that's the stock setting in Superchips for your truck. Don't touch it or your speedo will be off. The only time you'll need to touch that setting is, if you're going to a different size tire.
Sil
That's good to know Sil; I adjusted my tire size to 33" on my Flashpaq because I thought that was the correct size for my 275/60's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I am confused on this. If it says your tire height is 31.5 on super chips and you really have the stock 20" wheels (33" tires) why would you not want to change it to 33" instead of 31.5"???

But if I am understanding what you are saying is correct than if I moved up to 35" tires I would only have to change my superchips settings to 33.5"???

Or since you do not move the 31.5" setting on the flashpaq it will not program your PCM any different and will leave it to the stock parameter?

I am confused? any one shed some light??

P.S. Sils you are the man for helping us Dodge guys out with the flashpaq you really have put forth some effort in being our leader!!!:cheerl:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

i am form Germany and my english is not so good.

What means 5000 miles break? No power under 5000?

What happens when the Truck has over 5000 miles?!

Thanks for you answer and please easy english:cool:

Cheers
Stefan

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
That 31.5" tire setting on the SC is from measuring the height of the tires when mounted on the truck and when it's on the ground with weight on them. Those 275/60/20 aren't exactly 33" tall to begin with. You will normally lose about 1-1.5" of tire height when mounted on the truck with the weight of the truck on them.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
If you have the stock tires from factory, no reason to mess with the tire size option when tuning. Just leave it alone. :)

Prism is correct. Always measure your tires, if you're going to a new tire size. This is how Superchips calculates tire size.

If you have a GPS you can check if you're dead on or not. When I went to a different tire size on my 2004, I checked it this way until it was spot on.

Sil

·
Just getting started
67 Posts
When you say its hard coded to a 5000 mile break-in, does that mean that all the power is not there, or that the pcm just wont take very well with a chip until after the 5019 mile mark? Just curious cuz if thats the case Ill just wait to buy my superchips till I get past 5000 miles.

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
mine worked fine with SC before the 5019 mark. Now that I am past the 5019 mark I do feel a little better shifts.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
What means 5000 miles break?
Stefan,

This is a break in period that Dodge built into the PCM since 2007. Superchips discovered it while testing. Basically, the truck they were testing was being tested thoroughly for shift patterns. The shifting was erratic, even though everything was set correctly via the tune. Sometimes the shifts were perfect. Sometimes they were not. When that same truck was testing and it hit 5019 miles, the shifts were perfect each time after that.

Sil

·
Just getting started
67 Posts
Ok, I see, nothing really changes, dodge just made it so you cant break the transmission too early I guess, haha.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
When you say its hard coded to a 5000 mile break-in, does that mean that all the power is not there, or that the pcm just wont take very well with a chip until after the 5019 mile mark? Just curious cuz if thats the case Ill just wait to buy my superchips till I get past 5000 miles.
No. You'll feel a difference with Superchips before the break in period. Buy one now. You'll never go back. The break in is already there in the stock tune. ;)

As Jeremy mentioned, the shifting will improve after the break in period.

Sil

·
danimalhemi24
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a million sil. I was set to buy the diablo, mainly for the mds delete option. Once you got the ball rolling with superchips to make some improvements on the their tuner, I was all aboard. You are the MAN!!!!!! Thanks again!!!

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
Thanks a million sil. I was set to buy the diablo, mainly for the mds delete option. Once you got the ball rolling with superchips to make some improvements on the their tuner, I was all aboard. You are the MAN!!!!!! Thanks again!!!
My pleasure buddy. There will be more to come. :)

Sil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.