DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Love Looking Good
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bolted on some spring clamps. really lowered the truck 1 inch and tightened it up. not as much roll or squat and dive. that overload spring really helps. given I also have oversized rims it keeps the whell hop to a minimum. really good mod for the time and the money. recomend it. :thatfunny

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had heard of using spring clamps to lower the back end about 1 inch. I wonder what are the negative effects of using them? Got any pics of them installed? I was thinking of getting drop shackles and then using spring clamps to level out the rear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have never hauled anything over 500 lbs so I don't really know the feeling. I guess compressing the springs would make the ride bouncy because the leaf springs are compressed and can't help absorb the bounce.

·
Love Looking Good
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it really didnt make the ride bouncy. It actually reduced the amount of wheel hop in the rear. Since your clamping the leafs to the overload it just tightens the whole leaf. I dont load anything in the truck and i really dont drive it hard. so it serves me well.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Any pics of the rear of your truck?

·
Love Looking Good
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea ill make sure to put them up as soon as I can. been a bit busy.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...yea...b4 you know it...yul get the drop shackles...think yul be satisfied, and then the 2/4 drop... i was in your exact same shoes...lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tried the spring clamps today. It looked great, but I took them off because I couldn't stand the harsh ride. I guess I will be going with the shackles. Anybody know why these drop shackles only advertise 1/2" to 1.5" of drop? What can I expect? I'm assuming they dont change the ride quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Every drop shackle I have seen for 02-06 trucks are right at 2" shorter than factory,when you consider the shackle is at the very end of the spring you can see yourself how it wouldnt drop the full 2" because of the pivot point. All these shackles are within 1/8th inch of each other and will drop each truck the same,now different trucks will be where a different measurement may occur........things like towing packages,mileage,accessories and more affect how much drop you will get from the shackles.

This is being addressed right now between a member and I who got some Belltech shackles from me and is saying it only dropped his truck 3/4"...........so far he doesnt believe me that all these shackles will drop his truck the same amount,and is telling me I sent the wrong ones to him. The truck,the install,and accessories already on the truck will determine the actual drop,not necessarily the shackle brands. Very seldom does the shackles give you more than 1.5 drop on most trucks.

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Remove the over load and lose the clamps bro,after a while you will notice a big difference in ride quality.I once used the spring clamp but now I just use one set just to keep my middle leaf from jabbing my bed :D

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
just put them on my truck. lowered it about 1 to.75 inch. i put them 3 inches back from the bottom spring? is that right or should it be to the very end of the smallest sping for the lowest results. i did notice it was a bit bouncy on the highway but not bad. let me know where they should go! thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
slammed1 said:
Every drop shackle I have seen for 02-06 trucks are right at 2" shorter than factory,when you consider the shackle is at the very end of the spring you can see yourself how it wouldnt drop the full 2" because of the pivot point. All these shackles are within 1/8th inch of each other and will drop each truck the same,now different trucks will be where a different measurement may occur........things like towing packages,mileage,accessories and more affect how much drop you will get from the shackles.

This is being addressed right now between a member and I who got some Belltech shackles from me and is saying it only dropped his truck 3/4"...........so far he doesnt believe me that all these shackles will drop his truck the same amount,and is telling me I sent the wrong ones to him. The truck,the install,and accessories already on the truck will determine the actual drop,not necessarily the shackle brands. Very seldom does the shackles give you more than 1.5 drop on most trucks.

Thanks Slammed1! :rck: Mine is all stock with 3500 miles on her. Here is a pic. I guess I will order the GF shackles? Any ideas on which shackles Slammed1? I dont want any squeekers. ;)

Attachments

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...if you order it from Brian he'll pre-grease em for you so you don't get that dreaded squeak...that's customer service!!!

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..hey onlyone...do a search for uncbob on the forum...he has the same color scheme you have...yur gonna like his drop...

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
onlyone said:
Thanks Slammed1! :rck: Mine is all stock with 3500 miles on her. Here is a pic. I guess I will order the GF shackles? Any ideas on which shackles Slammed1? I dont want any squeekers. ;)
Get the BellTechs,they dont require grease. 85.00 to your door.

·
Banned
4,873 Posts
Ramkid12 said:
just put them on my truck. lowered it about 1 to.75 inch. i put them 3 inches back from the bottom spring? is that right or should it be to the very end of the smallest sping for the lowest results. i did notice it was a bit bouncy on the highway but not bad. let me know where they should go! thanks

the closest to the end the more drop you get and the ride gets worser too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah those spring clamps made my truck ride like a tank, it looked good but it rode like crap. I trashed them and used the bell tech shackles, it rides fine now. There not as low as the clamps let you go, but the ride is worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.