DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, new to the forum...
A friend of mine had his block redone and he installed all new parts, pistons, rings, cam etc.,
1968 Charger. When he put all the parts back together, He had a bad idling issue. He had to advance the distributor 45 degrees to get it to idle somewhat decently. Again everything was replaced except for the Carb. He used another Carb and it did the same thing. His new plugs turned black, so it seems like a miss. He mentioned that the harmonic balancer came off rather easily, and he thinks he should replace it. His timing chain was dead on, as he rechecked it after the idle issue.

In my opinion and another friends thoughts, it seems he had crossed 2 wires after he put the wires back on.

What could the issue be if it's not the wires being crossed. I'll take any questions if I know the answers to it. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Again it's not my car, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys, new to the forum...
A friend of mine had his block redone and he installed all new parts, pistons, rings, cam etc.,
1968 Charger. When he put all the parts back together, He had a bad idling issue. He had to advance the distributor 45 degrees to get it to idle somewhat decently. Again everything was replaced except for the Carb. He used another Carb and it did the same thing. His new plugs turned black, so it seems like a miss. He mentioned that the harmonic balancer came off rather easily, and he thinks he should replace it. His timing chain was dead on, as he rechecked it after the idle issue.

In my opinion and another friends thoughts, it seems he had crossed 2 wires after he put the wires back on.

What could the issue be if it's not the wires being crossed. I'll take any questions if I know the answers to it. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Again it's not my car, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks
Well my thought would be maybe gas or the pressure or the distrubitor cap needs ajusted or turned if the time is dead on.and I would run E3 plugs in that car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Harmonic Damper won't cause this but should be a tight fit. I've never run into this. If it is torqued properly it may not be an issue. It should require a puller to remove it, if it will slide off it may still be okay but I'd use some medium locktite on the crank snout in that case and re- check the torque on the crank bolt periodically. Keep an eye on it. if it gets loose it will be a bad day.
2: Timing- verify the timing mark on the balancer is at TDC on #1. Ignition timing of 45 degrees advance is way too far.
3. Firing order and wires:
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Art

4: Check the spark. Looking for a nice fat blue spark. If thready or reddish looking check points gap (dwell is better) and condenser. A bad or incorrect condenser will cause issues.
5. Black plugs normally indicate a rich condition, is the exhaust black as well? If so check float level needle & seat, jetting.
6. If still running poorly run a compression check. A sticky valve can poison the intake mixture and make it run like crap.
7. Check Manifold vacuum- should be >12 more like 15-22.

Clay

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks---It's been a while since I played with that carb system for that motor & I MIGHT BE ALL WET BUT "IF" I remember correctly the exhaust crossover go underneath the carb to preheat the carb--if the wrong gasket is used or gasket-plate is missing you will have a vacuum leak. This will cause roughness in response & idling. NOW THIS IS A LITTLE TRICKY & CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS---- be VERY VERY careful but LIGHTLY LIGHTLY spray a volatile aerosol at different areas of intake manifold (pause between spraying for effect) while engine is running to see if it changes RPM's or pitch. If so you have a vacuum leak at manifold. Another item but may or may not be related if the exhaust crossover in manifold is plugged it won't preheat the carb & cause running & idling issues. Check with a Dodge motor manual to see if the arrangement of parts assembly PICTURE for carb to manifold. This should show type/design of gasket. Aftermarket stuff isn't always what they should be & tend to be a little off in some areas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Obviously the problem is the paint! LA motors were never Chevrolet red, they were turquoise blue, hemi orange or black. Anyway, I agree with the poster that said the intake gasket is leaky. And when you pull that off to replace it take a good look at the cam & lifters, a lot of Chinese cams and lifters are made from crap metal and not ground properly to rotate the lifter. And may be ground wrong so despite your timing chain marks being correct, the cam is degreed wrong. Has he broken in the flat tappet cam with a zinc additive break in oil and run for 20 minutes at 2000 RPM? Modern oils do not have zinc as it messes with catalictic converters and flat tappet cams require it for break in. Getting an engine rebuilt with good parts nowadays is a crap shoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts