DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Rear Springs

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ProjectPowerRam 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new set of rear springs for El Guapo, but I can't seem to determine the best route for obtaining them, or if new springs will even fix the problem.

1st- The Problem:

After installing my Rough Country 4" lift, front springs/rear blocks, my truck has had that annoying list/lean to the driver's rear-and general slope downhill toward the tail.

2nd- The Questions:

Could there be something else at work here, other than sagging springs, which may be contributing to the lean? Do body mounts just "give out" on trucks, causing it to lean also??

3rd- Possible Solutions:

Buy new "factory" springs, hoping they will correct the issue.
---But, are factory good enough? I have found one "in house" manufacturer that purports claims that they make springs that have an extra
1-3/4" of arch, over factory, because factory springs will still settle in at a slope toward the rear. Anyone else hear anything like that before???
I just can't remember what site I went to to find them.:ugh

What about you guys? What kinds of situations and solutions have you all come across with your old rigs?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Matter of fact, here is the original email sent to me, from Atlas Spring, stating a need for the the (2") of extra height.

John,
If you have 4" overstock leaf springs in the front of your vehicle, then
technically you would need a 2" overstock rear leaf spring to level out
with the front. Most kits send a set off add-a-leaves, or a block kit to
compensate for the front. We could do one of two things; we could sell you
a factory leaf spring replacement, or we can sell you a 2" overstock rear
leaf spring. Prices are as follows

Part number Unit cost
34-183 149.99
34-183w/2"lift 175.00

***prices are per spring pack, include bushings, shipping is extra***

The prices are per pack. The price might seem a bit high compared to other
manufacturers, but the difference is that we make everything in house on
our premises. Nothing is mass produced or bought overseas, everything is
made to order. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to
contact me at any time. Once again thank you.

Fernando Gutierrez

Atlas Spring Company Inc.
127 S.4th. Ave.
La Puente, Ca 91746
626-333-7373
626-336-2463fax

#4 ·
Well, I would use just the helper springs, but I'm too apprehensive about them.
What if they don't work as I envision them?

My wife would be super PO'd, then. Not so much about buying the springs, but the fact that they wouldn't be what was needed. Then she'll say, "You shouldn't have put that lift on to start with!"

At that point, I would be forced to buy the 2" overstock springs, from Atlas. Then again, what would I do if they didn't work, either? I can see the springs lifting the tail end, but what would I do if it still leaned toward the driver side? Talk about a demon woman on earth.:)

#5 ·
If the lift was all my wife had to fuss about I would lucky. In the last 12 months I've done a new crate motor, rebuilt the transmission and transfer case, new steering box and borgeson shaft, throttle body, 4" lift springs front and rear with new shocks and stabilizers, and 35x12.50x15 mud tires and had the body work done and sprayed in line x. My wife tells me I've got the only truck around with $7500 invested and its still a $500 pickup.

#6 ·
Note to self...

I will never, ever attempt a spring replacement on an older, snow driven truck...ever again.

Sure, it looks SO MUCH better, but DANG!!

I do still have a slight problem, however. While the rear sits nice and level, now, there is still a slightly noticeable lean to the driver side. I cannot figure it out. All of the body mounts are still intact. There is no reasonable explanation for this. That is, of course, unless the fender bender the previous owner claimed it had, was actually more severe-causing slight frame damage. But, judging from the insignificant front/passenger fender damage...I don't believe that to be the case.

The only other scenario, which continues to play out inside my head, is that the old shim (see photo) might be the missing link-somehow, someway.
It appears to have been factory made and installed, so it had to have had some original purpose. And the only way to resolve it, other than trying to find someone at the Dodge corporation to give me that answer, will probably be to re-install it, along with my 4" lift, to see WTH is going to happen.

Crap, this is getting old. My wife, whom didn't want me to get the replacement springs in the first place, now says, "I can still see a slight lean. Are you going to try to fix it?" :YO:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.